• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Place my subwoofer?

The DirtMerchant

Famous
Didn't we have a "place your subwoofer" thread somewhere? Or was that back in the S&V Days?
Anyway...I'm going to lift up ye olde SVS PB12/2 in the listening position and crawl around the room...but
also looking for a bit of help on placement.

I live in a Ranch (1 main floor) with a full basement.
The ceiling is drop ceiling throughout...about 6' 7" to the tiles.
Above the tiles, it goes to around 7' 6" to the above sub-floor.

20190722_131345.jpg

Above is a very rudimentary layout of the basement.
I expect to put my display on the upper right corner of the Main Room (either Top or Right) w/ seating about 8-10 ft away.
Where do I put the sub?

I have no advice but I’m curious why the drop ceiling is so low? HVAC?

Oh I thought you meant there was almost a foot between the drop ceiling and the floor joists.

I don't know how high my drop ceiling is, maybe 6'7" or so but there is little room above the drop ceiling and had to drop it down to cover the HVAC so there is barely 6' to the drop ceiling in those areas.

I wish I could jack the house up add another row of block or two and set the house back down on it.

I don't know how high my drop ceiling is, maybe 6'7" or so but there is little room above the drop ceiling and had to drop it down to cover the HVAC so there is barely 6' to the drop ceiling in those areas.

I wish I could jack the house up add another row of block or two and set the house back down on it.
You can...but uh...you would need a metric ton of money.

Let me introduce you to my friend Ryan... (make sure to scroll through a couple pages to see all the work he did)

A quote from later in that thread:
The bill for hauling it away showed up a couple weeks later. It was about 20,000 pounds of concrete, all hauled out in 5 gallon buckets.

I expect to put my display on the upper right corner of the Main Room (either Top or Right)

Unless I'm missing something, that seems like a really odd place (within the room) to put your display. Please explain your reasoning.

Where do I put the sub?

That room is essentially square. You're going to have issues no matter where you place the sub. So what are the chances of you removing the left side wall and making the space 39 x 29 and then framing in a better ratio of dimensions?

Unless I'm missing something, that seems like a really odd place (within the room) to put your display. Please explain your reasoning.

That room is essentially square. You're going to have issues no matter where you place the sub. So what are the chances of you removing the left side wall and making the space 39 x 29 and then framing in a better ratio of dimensions?

Based on walking into the room and how we want to layout the space, it makes the most sense to us.
There is a doorway on the bottom of the left side 29ft wall. Walking in gives a view of the entire room.
The room has 3 basement posts set equidistant going across roughly halfway across the 29 wall (basically where it says "MAIN ROOM". It gives
a visual split to the room. We're considering the "bottom" half, which as you walk through the doorway, would be directly in front of you, to be more of a play space. Foozball table, maybe a bar, craps table, roulette wheel....=) The top half is where the display would go. I'd like to be able to see it from all locations in the room, including when walking in. Without having to turn. Also, there is a possibility of adding a bathroom in the future.
That would go in the upper left corner of the entire space and a door would be added in the upper left of the MAIN ROOM through the 29ft wall.

There is ZERO chance of removing the left side wall unless it is very far in the future. There is a possibility of not having the wall full length (to the doorway as it currently is), but...general tear down, flooring issues, ceiling etc is not even something I want to consider at this point. Do keep in mind, this is a very rudimentary drawing. There's doors, a window (basement), stairs etc that are not noted.

At some point I'd love to build out a dedicated room for HT, but right now I have a big square and am simply wondering where the best place to put the sub would be. And...how do I build bass traps, where do I put them and will they help in this room? Maybe I'll flesh out the drawing some more a bit later...

Thanks for any help!

but right now I...am simply wondering where the best place to put the sub would be. And...how do I build bass traps, where do I put them and will they help in this room?

Until Flint chimes in and tells me how wrong I am, I'd suggest placing the sub as close as possible to the seating (if you're after maximum LFE impact).

There are at least two threads (DIY section??) about building bass traps. And yes, they will help immensely. You'll likely need them in the corners of the room and I'd consider covering the left wall with absorbing material to minimize the effects of the square room.

I am struggling to understand the actual layout of the walls. Are the arrows the locations of walls in the drawing?

I am struggling to understand the actual layout of the walls. Are the arrows the locations of walls in the drawing?
Sorry about that. I no longer have Visio and I found some free program to use online.
It isn't very good, both due to the artiste and the program.

Anyway...yes, the arrows are walls.

I'll draw a picture, which should give a better representation, and post it later.

That looks like a sickness. I think I would have moved before doing all that for extra head room.
Last post is see is from 4/2019. Is this a completed project?

The project is on hold. He's very particular, knows exactly what he wants for the finished project, and knows that he's not in a place to get there right now. Instead of building it up piece-by-piece, he's basically going to ignore it until he's ready to knock it all out.

I will admit a similar idea entered my mind in the early stages of the Batcave, but didn’t want to seriously consider the costs or disturb the foundation.

Slightly less rudimentary layout of the basement attached.20190723_091033.jpg
I expect to put my display on the upper right corner of the Main Room (either Top or Right) w/ seating about 8-10 ft away.
Where do I put the sub?

Details:
The ceiling is drop ceiling throughout...about 6' 7" to the tiles.
Above the tiles, about 3 inches to the bottom of the joists, and it goes to around 7' 6" to the above sub-floor.

Weird detail, not sure if it matters, but based on a discussion on another thread about including measurements above drop ceilings, it may.
When they finished the basement, they did not fasten the studs directly to the concrete foundation. They framed about 9 1/2 inches away. So, my 29' and 28' dimensions, if going to the concrete, are larger. 19" total on the "Top" and "Bottom" and 9 1/2" on the right side. The left side wall separating the Main Room and the left room is basically hollow and 19 1/2" wide.

Attachments

• 20190723_090406.jpg
    20190723_090406.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20190723_090353.jpg
    20190723_090353.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20190723_090325.jpg
    20190723_090325.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 5
I can think of a million things you could do with that space to create a phenomenal listening space (home theater). Ask Heeman about what he did in his room!

But, if the only question is sub placement (usually a question asked after all the rest of the room acoustics are finished), I'd put it in the corner nearest the TV - right snug into the corner. That will get the greatest amount of room gain from the sub at the lowest frequencies while also maximizing the modes/nodes.

If you added two more identical subs (and all subs should be identical when more than one are used), I'd put them in the center of the three solid walls.

I can think of a million things you could do with that space to create a phenomenal listening space (home theater). Ask Heeman about what he did in his room!

But, if the only question is sub placement (usually a question asked after all the rest of the room acoustics are finished), I'd put it in the corner nearest the TV - right snug into the corner. That will get the greatest amount of room gain from the sub at the lowest frequencies while also maximizing the modes/nodes.

If you added two more identical subs (and all subs should be identical when more than one are used), I'd put them in the center of the three solid walls.

Feel free to suggest a few that involve simple and inexpensive stuff. Within the next 6 mos, I'd like to build a bass trap (where do I put it?) and some acoustic treatments for the primary reflection points...but I'm always open to suggestions.
I looked over the Heeman thread and went so far as to inquire about some general details (aka COST!). But that is something that is far in the future.
I, fortunately or not, have many other things that are above a dedicated HT. I'm asking about sub placement now (almost first) because...well, I just brought it into my house and it hasn't been around for a couple years (away in storage during the "cleanup and sell" time). And, considering how large it is and how little anything else will change for a while (HT wise)...I'd like to put it in the right spot for that time.

LOL, if I added two more identical subs, I might be divorced or sleeping on the couch...but I'll keep it in mind for the future (this one is even further out than a dedicated HT).

Back