• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Play drums for a guitar god...

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
... and get stuck behind a wall of amps where no one can see you!

Steve Vai doing his thing:

The one from google is particularly appropriate:

tool
to͞ol/
noun
a device or implement, especially one held in the hand, used to carry out a particular function​

(Sorry, no disrespect to Vai - or at least not much :laughing: - but I'm not impressed with him either. Feel free to disagree...)

Was it just me or around the 6:00 mark the the playing get fast for no apparent reason other than to show Mr. Vai can play fast?

Golly, didn't expect these responses.

I put Steve Vai on the same hallowed ground as Paganini - a great performer, technician, artist, writer and entertainer. Both have wowed audiences with both technically impossible playing and easy stuff which sounds complicated. They both wrote original music showcasing their talents. They both experienced massive fame and a devoted following. And they both are/were posers to look(ed) like show-offs even when they don't/didn't have an instrument in their hands.

I know my views won't convince you haters who listen to crap like Bananamassanaba, but I do think few have matched Vais artistry, talent, skill and writing virtuosity.

Last edited:
Golly, didn't expect these responses.

I put Steve Vai on the same hallowed ground as Paganini, a great performer, technician, artist, writer and entertainer.

I know my views won't convince you haters who listen to crap like Bananamassanaba, but I do think few have matched Vais artistry, talent, skill and writing virtuosity.
I think somebody is forgetting who is chief moderator here. And how come we don't have a banana emoji?

Fuck you all. I hate you I hate you I hate you.

:moon:

This guy is an amazing guitarist! I can't imagine how much time he's put into this instrument.

On a completely unrelated note...well not really..but sort of. I watched an 11 part piece on Joe Satriani on Youtube the other week. Something called Living Legends Music or something like that. I recognized his name but wouldn't know one of his songs if it hit me in the face. Why I kept watching? He seemed like a genuinely nice human being!! Oh, and the sort of related part...he taught Steve Vai.

Steve Vai may be an incredible guitar player, but The Village Voice named him the Douchiest Guitar Player of All Time and I don't disagree.

Exhibit A

Steve Vai is a genuinely nice guy and he is very humble in real life, especially when compared to most high earning musicians. But, he always wears the douche-inspired rock gawd clothes and makes faces at the wrong time while playing - stuff like kissing the neck of his guitar or appearing to either be at the peak of sexual ecstasy or struggling to pass a kidney stone while playing the high notes. But, his showmanship aside (one reason I compare him to Paganini), he is a genuinely talented player in every possible aspect. If you could see a list of all his work, especially the stuff he doesn't get label credit for, you'd be blown away at what he is capable of.

To be clear, I think he's good technically, just musically uninteresting (to my taste, which is obviously very different from most of you heathens').

Eh... tastes are tastes.

I hate listening to or watching Prince, I am mature enough to acknowledge his genius and talent.
:fight:

To be clear, I think he's good technically, just musically uninteresting (to my taste, which is obviously very different from most of you heathens').

Ok, so that is what I was waiting for. I get that some don't like him, I was just curious as to why.

I happen to really appreciate the guys playing and loved what he did with David Lee Roth. I don't listen to a ton of Vai's solo stuff, but I can identify almost immediately it 9 times out of 10. I also LOVED what he did in the movie Crossroads (the cool one, not the Brittney Spears one), and I think he an Ry Cooder did some amazing work on that soundtrack.

Eh... tastes are tastes.

I hate listening to or watching Prince, I am mature enough to acknowledge his genius and talent.
:fight:

Dude, Prince was a badass. Super funky, super rock n roll, keeping it real and controversial at the same time. Man, I love Prince.

Of course, Steve played all the guitar parts in the entire movie - he even helped choose the music, worked with the director to make it fit the theme, and more.

I am pretty sure Steve and Ry Cooder shared those duties.

Back