• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Power Sound Audio S3000i

jamhead

Tom and Jim came through and sent the amp overnight this week. I replaced the amp today (sorry Barney...couldn't get photos of the inside of the sub). The drivers are very serious, with massive magnets.

I spent about 2 hours calibrating it for use with 2 channel music (I will perform a second calibration for use with the Oppo - multi channel output). One cool factor it has is a "room size" setting, which basically cuts back the low frequency extension....or extends it based on room gain (very simplistic description). So, I have mine set to slightly larger than "small". When calibrating, I found the "large room" setting gave me a bump that slowly rose to where 15hz was 8dbs stronger than the small room setting. My current setting has the db (based only on Rat Shack SPL meter and sine waves) of +/- 2dbs from 15hz to 200hz, using the correction factor for each frequency. The sub is equal in output to the speakers, and as far as I can tell, the setting on the "room size" was very effective. I am most impressed with this option on the ICE am, and I was most skeptical of this prior to using it.

I've listened to maybe only 6 songs or so prior to the daughter going to sleep, but I must say....I am very impressed with the performance of this sub with music. The low end is very clean, tight, and really.....a big upgrade from the SVS I was using. The power it has, while remaining very subtle, is pretty cool. Supertramp's School was very clean and the baseline remained solid, while not varying in volume or intensity based on frequency as it had with the SVS. I am :happy-smileygiantred: .

More music listening and calibration for multi channel sources tomorrow, then I'll see how low it can go.

Just wanted to pass my pleasure on. This sub is the real deal for music.

Here's a few shots of the internals on the S3000i if anyone is interested.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Attachments

• dh7.JPG
    dh7.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 195
  • S3000_8.jpg
    S3000_8.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 195
  • S3000_9.jpg
    S3000_9.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 195
  • S3000_10.jpg
    S3000_10.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 195
  • wh3.JPG
    wh3.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 195
Just an update. I've been really loving this sub for close to a year now, with the sound being different than a ported sub. Seen many movies, had the couch vibrate.....but.

A couple weekends ago I borrowed "Edge of Tomorrow" with Tom Cruise. Turned the volume up, slightly louder than normal, upped the sub trim by 5dbs (typical for movie watching) and before the credits begin, the movies has a series of LFE sine waves that begin, and drop lower and lower, with each drop being louder and louder. By the time it hit the 10hz wave, the windows were vibrating extremely loud, amazing compression of air within my ears and the projector's image was vibrating substantially.

Realized this one sub is enough......hard to watch a movie with the picture vibrating :)

Actually ran sine waves the following day to ensure all was good with the sub....and it was.

I'm just impressed with the technology of this thing. If anyone has this movie, be careful with it as I can definitely see it destroy lesser subs.

Ha, yup. I used to have my two S3000i subs in my theater, one along the screen wall, and one on the riser next to the second row (after finding the best spots with the sub crawl method). All level matched and calibrated. The first 30 seconds of Edge of Tomorrow is a serious torture test. I had my wife upstairs yell down to the basement that she thought the house was falling down.

Ha, yup. I used to have my two S3000i subs in my theater, one along the screen wall, and one on the riser next to the second row (after finding the best spots with the sub crawl method). All level matched and calibrated. The first 30 seconds of Edge of Tomorrow is a serious torture test. I had my wife upstairs yell down to the basement that she thought the house was falling down.

And you heard her?????

And you heard her?????
HA! I had the same thought.

@Batman demo'd that here once. I was in my upstairs office - essentially as far from the HT as possible - when suddenly I saw the pens and pencils I keep in a mug start to vibrate.

Back