• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Projector dilema..need help fast

jamhead

What should I do:

Epson 5020 wireless refurb: $1999. Pair with a 90" 16:9 screen and hope the screen will fit (it will be close).
-Mount epson on shelf 17" above top of screen (need to make shelf)

Panasonic ae8000: 1899 new after rebate. Pair with 103" 2.35 screen
-place on table behind sofa so PJ is just above our heads.

Which would be best for movies / concerts 80% of time?

Need to make decision today.

I dont think you can go wrong with either projector. They both get excellent reviews. All things considered if the wireless is important than go with the Epson. Otherwise I'd personally choose new over refurb and would go with the Panny.

If you choose a 2.35 screen you will be dealing with bars on the left/right of all 16:9 content unless you use some sort of masking system. The Panasonic automatically detects and switches the lens and focus position between 2.35:1 and 16:9 but you'll still have unmasked screen surface.

Don't get me wrong... I'd LOVE to have a 2.35:1 screen, but not w/o a panamorph lens and a masking system.

Thanks Tom. In the end, I agree with you. If I go 2.35, I'll do it with a lens. Decided to go without for now, and go with the company with the better warranty and PJ with the better black levels.

I wanted to take Chris up on his offer for the JVC X35, but I couldn't make it work in my room. The depth of the thing (including breathing room behind the PJ ) pushed the lens beyond min. throw distance for the size screen I want. Could have went smaller, but couldn't justify the total 1K price difference for a smaller picture.

Thanks for the offer though Chris....I truly appreciate it.

Back