• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Proper professional Musicians! Jethro Tull!!!

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
With Mariah Carey's monumental failure to be a true performer at the new year's eve bash ringing in 2017, I thought I'd show how a band should perform live on television. In spite of obvious issues with the sound man, this band knew how to deliver. The lead guitarist playing the marimba and bongos, the drummer playing the orchestra bells and bongos, and the classical keyboardist playing the accordion, they deliver a perfect performance. Yes, good bands can play live when they want to.

The Who did it at the 9/11 concert for New York, who in a few weeks put on a stellar show with virtually no preparation. Now we are losing artists who can just go on any stage and deliver. As I write this, I can think of only a handful of superstar artists who can do this sort of thing, like the Foo Fighters or perhaps U2. All these new bands rely on everyone else to make them look good, and when those responsible for their success make mistakes or have issues, these new stars just turn into puddles of useless waste.

And another from 1977. Listen to how complex that arrangement is! These guys went on stage and just played it.

Jethro Tull was famous for rehearsing 9 to 5, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week,year round, treating it like a normal job. Taking vacations as a group, and delivering when it was time to deliver. That is being a professional band. The Who was similar in preparation for a tour, they would rehearse for two months prior, 10 to 12 hours a day. As did Genesis, Yes, Kansas, and others. These modern stars are pussies.

I mean, c'mon!!! How many modern bands can you imagine going on stage and performing something like this:

Maybe the small group of prog-gods like those who make up Neal Morse, Transatlantic, Flower Kings, and a few others - but the list is very small. In the 1970s there were dozens of bands doing this shit - Genesis, Mahavishnu Orchestra, James Brown Band, Styx, Yes, Jethro Tull, Frank Zappa, King Crimson, ELP, Rush, Queen, and others.

Last edited:
I mean, c'mon!!! How many modern bands can you imagine going on stage and performing something like this:

Maybe the small group of prog-gods like those who make up Neal Morse, Transatlantic, Flower Kings, and a few others - but the list is very small. In the 1970s there were dozens of bands doing this shit - Genesis, Mahavishnu Orchestra, James Brown Band, Styx, Yes, Jethro Tull, Frank Zappa, King Crimson, ELP, Rush, Queen, and others.

That was ridiculous. Man what a show that must have been. Phenomenal arrangement.

Flint,

While I salute the musical genius that you have mentioned, I don't see it as being exclusive to that "generation" and certainly don't see it lacking in today's acts. To answer the question: yes I can imagine "modern" bands going on stage and performing stuff like that.

I see no reason why today's musicians can't be, or are not, as dedicated to their craft as those that came before them.

Jeff

ps. You have to admit that Ian Anderson is not at all "typical" - no matter what era! He's one of the greatest front men ever. One of my favourite live performances of his that I've watched is from the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus (1968).

ps. A "today" act that I've seen live twice (once outdoors in a cold pouring rain that did not slow them down one bit!) playing similar music (to the video above) at a similar point in their career is Saskatoon's The Sheepdogs.

ps. Also at a very early stage in their career and with all sorts of upwards potential is Newfoundland's Hey Rosetta! They were a very last minute addition to Folkfest 2014 here in Ottawa when another band cancelled. Hugely memorable!

ps. While they've been around for a little longer, Montreal's Arcade Fire stands out (at least to me) for some pretty complex (but enjoyable) pieces. Here's one from ten years ago, around the release of their first album.

Flint, did you sing with your prior bands? I'm guessing, not.

Flint, did you sing with your prior bands? I'm guessing, not.

Yes, I sang harmonies and backup vocals. I have a terrible voice for a lead singer, but I am good at singing in tune and blending in.

I wasn't implying there were none who could do it, there are millions of bands and as such there are a huge number who can perform anywhere anytime. But you don't those on your TV or big national events very often. Instead we get people who are massively famous and need magician sound engineers and producers to help them look good at all.

Being able to hear yourself, while singing, is not magic; its necessary for almost everyone.

Watch am old live video of Anne Wilson from heart singing. That is professional.

Anne is still pretty amazing. I still think one of my favorite performances is from Heart Live in Seattle with them doing the Battle of Evermore. AND THEN I GOT TO SEE IT LIVE. HOLY SMOKES!

Imagine singing that well with the poor monitoring systems they had in the 70s

Yes, I sang harmonies and backup vocals. I have a terrible voice for a lead singer, but I am good at singing in tune and blending in.
Care to mention those band(s)' name(s) so that we can check them (you) out?

Flint,

While I salute the musical genius that you have mentioned, I don't see it as being exclusive to that "generation" and certainly don't see it lacking in today's acts. To answer the question: yes I can imagine "modern" bands going on stage and performing stuff like that.

I see no reason why today's musicians can't be, or are not, as dedicated to their craft as those that came before them.

Jeff

ps. You have to admit that Ian Anderson is not at all "typical" - no matter what era! He's one of the greatest front men ever. One of my favourite live performances of his that I've watched is from the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus (1968).

ps. A "today" act that I've seen live twice (once outdoors in a cold pouring rain that did not slow them down one bit!) playing similar music (to the video above) at a similar point in their career is Saskatoon's The Sheepdogs.

ps. Also at a very early stage in their career and with all sorts of upwards potential is Newfoundland's Hey Rosetta! They were a very last minute addition to Folkfest 2014 here in Ottawa when another band cancelled. Hugely memorable!

ps. While they've been around for a little longer, Montreal's Arcade Fire stands out (at least to me) for some pretty complex (but enjoyable) pieces. Here's one from ten years ago, around the release of their first album.

I can't wait to be retired!

Back