• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

PS4 Announced

-B-

Found good info on the GT forums so I just copied it. Anyone been following this? Anyone have any interest in it?

PlayStation 4 console announced by Sony in New York[/b]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21526450

What we know so far (courtesy of Joystiq):

-PS4 has x86 CPU, 8GB onboard memory, local hard drive

-PS4's DualShock 4 controller has built-in touch pad, motion control capability

-PS4 allows playing games as they're downloading

-"Try Anything" for PlayStation 4: "Try it for free, share it if you like it, and pay only for the games which you fall in love with," Perry said.

-"Instant broadcast:" allows players to broadcast and share gameplay videos using existing, connected social networks, such as Ustream and Facebook. Friends are able to post comments to your screen.

-PlayStation 4's dedicated video hardware will allow seamless video uploading, streaming, sharing

-PlayStation 4 will continue to bring streaming media to homes

-PlayStation 4 will stream PS1, PS2, PS3 games

-PlayStation Move compatible with PS4,

-PS4 features PS Vita remote play powered by Gaikai

-PS4 will have support from 'every' major third party

Announced Games:
-Knack
-Killzone: Shadowfall
-Driveclub from the makers of Motorstorm, Evolution Studios
-Infamous: Second Son
-The Witness, which will be a PS4 launch exclusive
-A new Final Fantasy
-Watch Dogs
-Diablo 3 (both PS3 and PS4)
-Destiny

Interested? Eh maybe, have to see & hear more, personally I haven't been a Playstation guy since the first gen.

I'm more interested in what Microsoft is doing with the Xbox, since that has even more of a home entertainment emphasis. I really don't game that much.

It's cool that stuff keeps gettin' better, but I don't think I'll buy into any Gen 4 systems.

Never have been much of a gamer, anyway. Sadly, the one console I had in the past 10-12 years that probably got the most use was a flippin' Dreamcast. I mostly bought the PS3 for the BluRay capabilities and built-in Wi-Fi. Though I've played way more games on PS3 than I ever did on my original Xbox. I think there are going to be enough PS3 titles floating around for a few years on the used market to keep me entertained, should the desire to play ever hit. I've officially reached the "It's Good Enough" stage; that is, until I maybe see a PS4 in action. So I doubt I'm interested. But we'll see.

Not really interested, I've switched my gaming back over to PC, and I've never used my PS3 for media streaming or anything like that. I wonder how its GPU compares to current gen PC hardware...?

Does it have backwards compatibility to the PS3's 4D graphics? :happy-smileygiantred:

Interested to see how honest Sony is on this one.........

D

I find it strange that no hardware/info etc was disclosed at the Press Conference by Sony, only display a game being played. But they must be still working on it & waiting on Microsoft.......

got metal gear ?

nope. not as a strong release as ps3 was back in the day.

for what its worth, i think im going to stick with my current gen for the meantime, it seems that im pretty much content with it, and love to finish all my stoopid games right now.

i have to face the fact that somehow, i realize that im growing out of it already. been critical of almost most of the games ive played, and havent been 'aspiring' for much about it.

sad fact, my gaming years are finally growing out of me.

My son is a big-time gamer. But it looks like consoles/stb's are a thing in the past... PC Gaming is growing big time, my son doesn't buy too many games for his xbox. Since we got a mechanical keyboard & Razer mouse with 2 different mouse pads (control-he uses it all the time & speed pad)...he doesn't like the hand held controls (they are old school). My son is loving Dxtory for video/audio capture & Adobe Premere Elements 11 so he can put some of his game-play on yahoo.....these kids/adults are really going crazy about this. Steam is getting bigger & bigger.

I feel the same way, Barney. Keyboard+mouse (or in my case, trackball) is a much better control system; I hate how PS3 you have to remember so many different button combinations for obscure options. I hated Steam at first, but have grown to be ok with it, especially for their promotion of "indie" games - some of which are very good. Tell your son to look into "The Cave" - that's a fun one, not a huge game but very well done.

PaulyT, we also discovered that a program called SyncUp.exe causes problems. Its all over the web along with razer game booster. Syncup is in alot of places...can't just uninstall program, you have to go in your documents (video, photo, etc) & remove it also. There's also an error that pop's up in Windows7 ....disc is not in drive or no file from so&so to so&so. My son found a fix for that on yahoo. If anyone is getting that error box pop-up, I'll get my son to find the fix instructions & post it. I'm sure Microsoft will have an update that addresses it soon.
Also, since I got my new router....multi-player/split screens...is working grat now, more stable. doesn't have to step down in resolution to under 20fps.....

Thanks Barney; I haven't noticed any problems of that sort (though my game play in the time since Christmas holiday and finishing AC3 has dropped off dramatically), but will keep it in mind.

Got an email from AMD (our PC has an AMD graphics card) about them & the PS4:

http://blogs.amd.com/fusion/2013/02/21/amd/

From the link:

AMD and The Sony PS4. Allow Me To Elaborate.
February 21, 2013 by John Taylor

Yesterday, Sony gave a sneak-peek at its next-generation PlayStation®4 (PS4™) game console coming later this year and, here at AMD, we couldn’t be more excited. Bringing a supercharged PC architecture that combines next-gen hardware, software, and the fastest game network in the world. Oh, and this is all powered by a semi-custom designed AMD accelerated processing unit (APU) jointly developed in coordination with Sony!

In fact, the PS4 is the first announced design win based on semi-custom AMD APUs. This further demonstrates our commitment to take AMD technology into adjacent high growth markets as we diversify beyond the PC.

What exactly is a semi-custom APU? Let me elaborate:

At the most basic level, an APU is a single chip that combines general-purpose x86 central processing unit (CPU) cores with a graphics processing unit (GPU) and a variety of system elements, including memory controllers, specialized video decoders, display outputs, etc. Our semi-custom solutions take the same treasure trove of graphics; compute and multi-media IP found in our APUs, and customize them for customers who have a very specific high-volume product that could benefit from AMD’s leading-edge technologies.

In the case of the PS4, we leveraged the building blocks of our 2013 product roadmap – the same technologies you find in the latest AMD APUs powering PCs, ultrathin notebooks and tablets – to create a solution that incorporates our upcoming, low-power AMD “Jaguar” CPU cores with next-generation AMD Radeon™ graphics delivering nearly 2 TFLOPS of compute performance! This unique APU architecture enables game developers to easily harness the power of parallel processing to fundamentally change the console gaming experience. Not only creating the opportunity for new possibilities in software design, but also faster and more fluid graphics.

This is going to be a very exciting year for gamers, especially for those with AMD hardware in their PCs and consoles, as we have even more game-changing (pun intended) announcements still to come.

Look for some more exciting things happening at the Game Developers Conference (GDC) in March when we will provide even more info on how we are working with game developers to make AMD the hardware of choice for running the best games!

John Taylor is the Vice President of Global Communications and Industry Marketing at AMD. His postings are his own opinions and may not represent AMD’s positions, strategies or opinions. Links to third party sites, and references to third party trademarks, are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, AMD is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third party endorsement of AMD or any of its products is implied.

First pictures ive seen of the PS4

ps4-concept-1.jpg

Back