• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

PSA - MTM-210 Review - Home Theater Shack

I'm going to show my ignorance so don't make fun of me.

The frequency response measurements are shown to be taken; on axis, at 45 degrees, at 90 degrees, at 135 degrees, and at 180 degrees. I'm used to on axis, at 15 degrees and at 30 degrees. If I understand those angles, 90 degrees is next to (not in front of) the speaker and 135 and 180 are actually behind the speaker.

What am I missing?

On Axis is Zero is straight ahead..................

CP25%20Horizontal%20Polar%20Pattern.jpg

Yeah.

And 90 is next to the speaker, not in front of it. And 135 and 180 are actually behind it. Why do I want measurements made behind the speaker?

Your chart doesn't even show 135 or 180... because they are behind the speaker.

HTS review said:
Frequency response measured outdoors at 1 m at 45, 90, 135, and 180 degrees off axis, showing the overall highly directive nature of the horn-loaded tweeter.

Clearly I'm an idiot because this makes no sense to me. I put numbers on your chart to try to get a better idea, but I still think I'm missing something...

Capture2_zpswnf1m23r.png

Capture1_zpscgzhjav8.png

1 is at 0 degrees (on axis)
2 is at 45 degrees (a little wide, but okay)
3 is at 90 degrees (huh?)
4 is at 135 degrees (wait...)
5 is at 180 degrees (literally DIRECTLY behind the speaker) ?!?!?

I don't think these speakers would work well for me, as my wide seating area requires a broader sound stage than I could get with those horn drivers.

I sent a message to Tom V at PSA to help us with the dispersion measurements and how they actually apply.

I asked him to visit this thread.

My confusion is with how/why Home Theater Shack made the FR measurements (apparently) from behind the speaker. My assumption is that the reviewer wants to let us know how the room may react if you put the speaker very close to a wall. That's good information I suppose.

Haywood said:
I don't think these speakers would work well for me, as my wide seating area requires a broader sound stage than I could get with those horn drivers.

Hi Haywood,

Curious, what are you basing the expected "soundstage" comment on---the FR?

If so, I would just note that these aren't the usual 0/15/30/45 measurements. He goes straight from 0 to 45(!). Given that, I though the measurements were very good. Although I might be just a little biased of course..:)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

That's was my point. It's unusual to see FR measurements spaced that way. Granted, the reviewer does note that he wants to emphasize the directionality of the speaker, but still ... I think he's confusing readers.

Towen7 said:
That's was my point. It's unusual to see FR measurements spaced that way. Granted, the reviewer does note that he wants to emphasize the directionality of the speaker, but still ... I think he's confusing readers.

I can't argue, I've already responded to 4 or 5 folks with the same questions in CHAT today. They all seem to think they were looking at 15/30/45 and we're asking why 45 looked so bad when it is really 135 off..:)

Wayne really did a good job overall though, some of this may be me picking nits to some degree.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

I don't think anyone will notice a lack of a broad soundstage with these speakers. I have used Klipsch RF series speakers in the past and they have a similar style horn on them. Their soundstage was fine. The Mackies have their tweeters less extreme wave guides and their soundstage is amazing.

John

Haywood said:

I don't understand the assumption. The FR at 45 degrees looks pretty good to me.

Tom V. said:
Haywood said:

Hi Haywood,

If so, I would just note that these aren't the usual 0/15/30/45 measurements. He goes straight from 0 to 45(!). Given that, I though the measurements were very good. Although I might be just a little biased of course..:)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

I should clarify that what I need is good off-axis performance. My room is 13x17 and is oriented the short way with the couch on one long wall and the TV on the other (due to the doorway being on one end and windows on the other). My couch is about ten feet wide and is big enough for five or six people to kick back and watch a movie, but it is only about ten feet from the speakers. My concern is that the horns might be a little too directional.

Last night I was playing with Toe with the MTM-210's.

I was using he Chesky Demo Disc, specifically "Spanish Harlem" Where the center focus and soundstage is hard to beat.

I had the Toe almost directly pointed at the MLP for most of the time that I have owned them.

I began Toeing out to where I still had the Center Focus but a bigger soundstage.

They are significantly Toed out now and I think are finally positioned correctly for once.

The are almost 8' apart and the MLP is 9' . The front inside corner of the speaker is 32" off the front wall.

The outside corner is 18.125" from the side wall and the inside corner is 28.5" from the side wall.

Not sure the angle off axis??

So tell us. What makes the new position better than the old?

The review mentions the importance of having the speakers level because of a relatively "shallow" stage vertically. Is your CC tilted up? Have you noted any issues there at all?

The new position with the LF and RF tilted out form directly pointing at the MLP has opened up the soundstage significantly without sacrificing the center focus. This especially helps when listening to Stereo music. It helps with Movies but not as big a differnee since we both are very close to the center of the room.

I do have the Center tilted up and we have not heard or commented on the sound field be detached up front, it seems very smooth.

walls said:
10" woofers and only go as low as 70hrz, hmm....

It's all about efficiency versus extension. We intend for these speakers to be used with quality subwoofers so trading off bass extension <65hz or so to optimize efficiency was an easy choice for us. These are real 98dB efficient..:)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Haywood said:
Tom V. said:
Haywood said:

Hi Haywood,

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

I should clarify that what I need is good off-axis performance. My room is 13x17 and is oriented the short way with the couch on one long wall and the TV on the other (due to the doorway being on one end and windows on the other). My couch is about ten feet wide and is big enough for five or six people to kick back and watch a movie, but it is only about ten feet from the speakers. My concern is that the horns might be a little too directional.

Well, if you ever want to give them a listen you have a 30 day trial and free shipping both ways. So the audition would be entirely risk free..:)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Back