• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Question from a movie non-fan

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
Today I got a "Special 6-month Upgrade Offer!" from Dish because I'm such a loyal customer:
Showtime, for $7.50/month, or
Showtime + HBO, $17.50/month, or
Showtime + HBO + Cinemax, $22.50/month, or
Showtime + HBO + Cinemax + Starz, $27.50/month.

Do the above providers have that much "other" content that any of those deals would be good, when I could get Netflix for (last time I checked) $7.99/month? Not looking to add any of them, I'm just curious, and thought Netflix had just about every movie out there.

I think there becomes value when you consider exclusive content. Yes, you'll be able to watch Top Gun on all of them but only HBO airs real Time with Bill Maher & Game of Thrones, only Netflix airs House of Cards, etc.

Netflix's catalog is actually smaller today than in the past. The studios are also keeping movies off Netflix for a period of time after its on cable or other streaming sources. It's kind of a mess.

http://www.businessinsider.com/netflix-catalog-size-shrinks-2016-9

I have the package that includes all premium channels and to be honest... if I had to pay normal prices I wouldn't have them.

When ever we get the free weekends, very rarely do we ever see anything worth watching. Would never pay for those packages.

I've learned that just about everything I want to see on the movie channels (like their original programming such as "Weeds" "Hung" "House of Lies" "Game of Thrones" and so on) I can watch later on one of the services I already pay for, like Hulu+, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. So, I have no desire to pay for access to those channels. I don't have that driving need to see the latest episode of anything at the same time as the rest of the nation. In fact, I prefer waiting months or even years before watching the really popular shows.

It is probably cheaper to just get Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and an OTA DVR, then pay ala carte for the odd show that you absolutely must watch now and cannot get otherwise. It can also be cheaper to buy streaming versions of premium channels through Amazon, because they offer them at a discounted rate.

Or you can just get yourself an eye patch, a Usenet account and a copy of Sonarr. :nyah:

I get HBONow by my mom giving me her HBO account as she never uses it as she gets HBO via her DishTV but then again I hardly watch it. My nephew buys every season of Game of Thrones on Vudu and of course we both buy every new movie that gets released which is shared among all family members so we never have to wait months for the title to get on movie channels. In fact with all the movies we have on Vudu my entire family has dropped all movie channels except my mom who keeps HBO (I think she keeps it for me but she doesn't need to). I let my mom use my Netflix account, my mom in return gives me HBONow, my sister and brother in law give me their Hulu account as I linked them to my Vudu acct. I pay 40.00 a month for the cheapest Directv package that has all the channels Michelle and I watch and I pay 7.99 for Netflix for me and my mom. I get HBO Now for free, HuluPlus for free and I spend about 80.00 a month on new movies at bargain prices for Vudu while my nephew spends about the same amount for the titles he buys which the whole family shares. Altogether it's about 150.00 a month for everything that the entire family shares so I can't complain I have way more than I could ever watch and am glad the whole family shares accounts with each other.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on anything and this is just a friendly reminder that AT&T offers unlimited mobile data to customers that have U-verse or DirecTV. Since getting that upgrade we've dramatically increased the amount of video we watch on mobile devices.

I do not know if the unlimited mobile data will be extended to DitecTV Now (the soon to be announced OTT product).

**Full disclosure: I am employed by AT&T however I do not represent them here.

^ Really, I was unaware.............

Where do I find this, it shows that we are limited on the bill for Barbs phone. Our DirecTV account is in her name??

Back