• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

recommend a portable ipod speaker

Maximo

My mother wants a good, portable speaker system for her ipod. Any of you have anything that you like?

like receivers, at certain price points they all kinda perform the same.

-B- said:
like receivers, at certain price points they all kinda perform the same.
Exactly, you get what you pay for. I have heard a number of iPod dock speaker systems in the sub $200 category and to my ears they are all pretty mediocre to bad in sound reproduction. That being said just about any of these featured would suffice, all depends on what she wants to spend.

:text-link:

I have found that an old Sony boom box I have does the best for listening to my iPod in "portable" circumstances

I like the simplicity and the price can't be beat!

Attachments

• tumblr_ma5pqzQwtF1qhxgtvo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_ma5pqzQwtF1qhxgtvo1_500.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 842
I bought a Logitech Wireless Boombox to use for presentations with my iPad as the source but it'd be great at home too. It's not a dock but you can connect any source to it via BluTooth or use the headphone jack. Whats cool is that it has an internal battery so it's very portabe and easy to move around should the need arise. I use it as my computer speakers at the office, wired to the heaphone port on my port replicator. When I need to give a presentation away from my desk I just toss it in the bag... No need to mess with any wires.

From a sound quality perspective it sounds pretty good, and can fill a good sized room. When using battery power there is a little less bass. I guess it cuts power to the bass amps to save a little battery time.

:text-link:

as discerning as we are with our devices, sometimes a simple plug and play works wonders for some people.

i have an altec lansing in the kitchen with an ipod touch plugged in there, but doesnt work so well due to the 30 pin piece of shit stand it stands on. the cradles correct, but it just sucks because i have to wiggle it often to get it playing.

anyways, beside the point bought my sister one of these, and she loves it simply because you just plug it in the headphone jack and voila your done.

no bluetooth pairing, no 30 pin connector, no wireless etc.

"i just want to listen to some tunes while i make you a sandwich" or "i just want to listen to something while making coffee" attitude.

got her this for around 14.99 back then, and she still uses this instead of my AVR setup at home...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HHICKC/ref=wms_ohs_product

you can get these because they're adequate and simple for my sister, maybe this might work for you as well maximo.

I really like the iHome boom boxes they run on plug or batteries. Very good sound for 150.00

Well, my mother recived her gift while I was visiting over the holiday. the unit was smaller than I had expected, but the sound quality was very impressive. Plus, the ipod user interface is really neat.

Those Erg-Doggy speakers that O-Bob-Ma brought to Bats' GTG (proving they are portable - even if it takes two Matts and an RV to move them) worked pretty darn good using my ipod Touch for source material. :)

HA!

That's one of my favorite memories of Batcave GTG 4.0... An iPod hanging off of a $2 cable, connected to a Krell processor, two monoblock Krell amps, and a pair of Wilson Watt Puppy speakers.

Just shows no matter if your rich or poor this group has got you covered.

Tom one of my favorite moments too....till Bryan screamed at me to shut off that damn "dance club" music. :happy-smileygiantred:

41ekIHwmc6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Rope

Towen7 said:
HA!

That's one of my favorite memories of Batcave GTG 4.0... An iPod hanging off of a $2 cable, connected to a Krell processor, two monoblock Krell amps, and a pair of Wilson Watt Puppy speakers.

I believe that someone posted a pic of that in the GTG thread and made a similar comment, not sure who........ :eusa-whistle:

Back