• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Roger Waters new Album, "Is This The Life We Really Want?"

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
http://dangerousminds.net/comments/every_review_youve_read_of_the_new_roger_waters_album_is_wrong

What an inspired review. I love the sound and musical emotion Roger can create in the studio. He is capable of the most basic minimalism which escalates to the most profoundly over the top lushness and complex arrangements with a deftness few can imitate of match.

That said, he is extremely heavy handed with his anti-authority screeds which seem extremely unbalanced with an absolutely refusal to understand why it happens. The absolute victimization of everyone by the absolute controlling and coordinated power and authority of the "bosses" is beyond even the most extreme populace influencer pieces. Even Dickens didn't go as far making the rich bosses pure evil. This aspect of Roger's work can be distracting, but the music and emotions are so palpable I find ways to get past that and enjoy the music, arrangements, recordings, and energy - even the repeated lyrical themes that reinforce the moods of the music.

I am eager to get the new album, Is This What We Really Want? Among other things, the musicians on the record are astonishingly good, and some of my most favorite musicians in the industry. Roger Joseph Manning, Jr. alone is a major sign-on. I have worked with him when he was young and just discovering fame and I always thought he was a genius with just enough humility to accomplish greater results than he alone could achieve.

I am ordering this, on CD, ASAP and look forward to the listening experience.

The new stuff he did in his show sounded so closely related (musically) to the old stuff that sometimes it took a minute to figure out. "oh this is a song I have never heard before".

I listened to it after the Comey testimony this morning.

Remember that I am essentially lyrically dyslexic so unlike Flint I have no concern about what Waters is saying, because I don't hear what Waters is saying. Of course if he's saying that all Austin-based Trump-supporting drummers are [insert adjective of your choice here], who am I to argue. :)

So what struck me, musically, about this is that there is no progression from past works: it's all just more of the same (pretty much what Randy said.) If you liked the other stuff (which I do - but not rabidly so) then you'll like this; and if not, well, go somewhere else for your music fix.

I enjoyed, musically, how these tunes form a cohesive whole - which is a forte of good classic prog rock - a true album in all of the senses of the word.

Jeff

I listened to it after the Comey testimony this morning.

Remember that I am essentially lyrically dyslexic so unlike Flint I have no concern about what Waters is saying, because I don't hear what Waters is saying. Of course if he's saying that all Austin-based Trump-supporting drummers are [insert adjective of your choice here], who am I to argue. :)

So what struck me, musically, about this is that there is no progression from past works: it's all just more of the same (pretty much what Randy said.) If you liked the other stuff (which I do - but not rabidly so) then you'll like this; and if not, well, go somewhere else for your music fix.

I enjoyed, musically, how these tunes form a cohesive whole - which is a forte of good classic prog rock - a true album in all of the senses of the word.

Jeff

I think my comment about his new stuff being closely related (musically speaking) to the old Floyd stuff was meant as more of a compliment than yours. LMAO

I don't get fans.

They are so excited that Roger Waters put out a new album because they love his music and style, then when they hear it and out sounds like his work they seem disappointed that it sounds like his other work.

The same thing happened when David Lee Roth got back with Van Halen. All those fans who kept saying Van Halen lost it when Roth left the group were disappointed that the new album sounded like the Van Halen when Roth was in the band.

It is confusing.

Mind you, I was pretty excited when DLR left the band, kept thinking "they could really make this a great band now!" Only one singer that would've been worse, and dayam if they didn't hire him! :veryangry:

I don't get fans.

They are so excited that Roger Waters put out a new album because they love his music and style, then when they hear it and out sounds like his work they seem disappointed that it sounds like his other work.
And I bet my fortune that they would still complain if the new music didn't sound like the old stuff. I see it with fans of other bands all the time. You can't please everyone.

Back