• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Roku makes big news on next client devices!

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
Wow! I thought only Apple got headlines for basic hardware releases (take that, Fanbois!).

I have seen dozens of articles on the announcement of the new Roku devices which all cost less than prior versions and most support 4K, at least one version of HDR, and ATMOS.

The only reason I can imagine this justifies front page coverage is the pricing being lower which could drive more and more people to fire their cable/satellite/IPTV services for an on-demand, internet based solution.

Even the Wall Street Journal deemed it worthy of the opening page of their online paper.

I've been following this ever since the release rumor mill started and will definitely pick up an Ultra as soon as possible. This is the streamer I've been waiting for and will become one of my two primary source devices (the other being the Plex Media Player appliance I built). It would be an understatement to say that I'm excited. The only thing standing between me and exactly the setup I envisioned from the beginning is the money for a new receiver.

THIS is why Roku continues to beat out Apple TV and Android TV. It is the only ecosystem that supports pretty much everything and now it does so in 4K HDR.

Came very close to buying a Roku 4 Premier Plus. Actually ordered it but cancelled the order after sleeping on it. The main reason being the fastest internet my area gets and what I have is 20 Mbps. Now that I have a Samsung 4K tv I was torn between buying a 4K bluray player like The Xbox One S but decided that I've been buying digital movies so long I'm not sure I want to back to buying actual disks. The other is the slight upgrade from going from 1080p to 4K. On my 65" sitting 11 feet back I'm told I won't notice that much of a difference. Granted my Samsung TV up coverts 1080p to simulated 4K and applying simulated HDR to the 1080p signal and the picture is fantastic. I just figure I'll wait till my area gets at least 40 Mbps then just start buying 4K digital copies (I already have a couple titles that Bats let me redeem at the last gtg but still nothing to play them on and with 20 Mbps I figure the movie would buffer constantly.

I bought the original Roku 4 and had issues with it. The first one was how hot the Roku got and second when streaming 4k content it would wash out all of the black levels. I would search forums to see if a firmware update fixed the black level issue with 4k content first before buying their new products.

I think I'm just gonna hold off for awhile. It maybe a year or so before Centurylink gets anything faster than 20 Mbps in my area and no sense buying gear that I won't get to use. Hopefully by then they'll have all the bugs worked out.

I just gave my Roku 3 to my mother-in-law and bought a Roku Ultra. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with my system. The old Roku feed a splitter that went to the main HT and the kitchen TV. That won't work anymore if I want UHD. I could by an HDFury Integral and Linker for $399, but that seems like a lot to spend just to get one source to one TV. I could buy a refurbished Yamaha RX-V779 for $399 and an HDFury Linker for $199. I'd feel slightly less stupid spending $598 and be able to send all sources to either set independently. I'm a little hesitant about some of the limitations of this receiver though and wonder if I shouldn't just spring for the extra $300 to get the Marantz SR-6010. Then again, I'm a little tight right now and the receiver in the basement does not support UHD. I could always buy the Yamaha now, upgrade later, move it to the basement and give the one down there to my parents. Ug. I hate this. Why did I buy this thing?

Back