• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Saw the wheel on Kickstarter (ok, on Facebook)

I noticed they had to include some "crackle and pop" when the record started playing no doubt to appease hipsters who stupidly expect records to have this noise.

The "turntable" itself seems like the answer to a question that nobody asked.

I'd give it a solid hmmmm.

It's not an obvious dud.

It's not an obvious winner.

If I were looking for a new turntable and cartridge combination (heck, I think I own an AT95E cartridge already!) totaling somewhere in range of the 850EUR expected list price, I would at least include it in the initial list of maybes.

And I would expect to be able to demo it (in store or by ordering one direct) without risk (ie. if in store: don't buy it; if at home: be able to send it back for full refund.) I certainly wouldn't buy it on spec with no returns allowed.

And again, that's only if I needed a new turntable and cartridge - which I absolutely do not. But maybe some people do. I visited a very cool true record shop in Halifax this past weekend that had a large amount of its floor space dedicated to vinyl albums (new and used), and the place was pretty busy just after noon on Saturday. They were also selling a variety of turntable / cartridge combos priced anywhere from a couple to several hundreds bucks, along with good quality compact integrated amps and bookshelf speakers. Halifax is a true working class city and if that store can (I hope) make a go of it then just maybe there's room for more innovative gear in the marketplace as well.

I do notice (maybe I missed it) no "noise" or "rumble" specs. I also wonder about the design's inherent ability to deal with physical and acoustic inputs (ie. how well it isolates itself from its surroundings.) I'm guessing not very well.

On the plus side, I kinda like the minimalist design appearance / low form factor.

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Could I retrain myself to place an album "played-side-down", after almost half a century of doing it the other way?
Cleaning becomes an operation with an extra step, too.

What's the point? How is this better than a traditional turntable? Cosmetically, it looks a little different and the skip feature is interesting, but that doesn't mean better sound or performance.

However, I can see flaws:
- The LP is suspended over the cartridge with nothing holding the often non-flat surface of the LP in place. If the LP is warped, nothing is controlling it and if any movement or vibration occurs affecting the shape of the LP, nothing is limiting that.
- When placed horizontally, the needle is beneath the LP pressing up against the LP, probably using a spring and fighting gravity. If placed vertically, the needle is beside the LP pressing sideways against the LP. The mass of the cartridge and mounting assembly will require the pressure in the horizontal arrangement be greater to fight gravity as it presses upward than when it is vertical and pressing sideways. Are they accounting for that difference somehow?
- Being a linear tracking arm design, how are they assuring the cartridge and needle are aligned properly as it skates across the LP? This was a problem with MANY of the affordable linear tracking arms in the 1980s.
- The spindle-based control function, while cool, should cause extreme thump or skipping when utilized in many cases.

I believe most of those issues can be addressed with expensive design and implementation, but why bother with a $150 turntable doesn't need to address those concerns at all.

Back