• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Securing speakers to wall mounts

bmwuk

As I mentioned in another post, I am looking at upgrading my surround speakers. I currently have rectangular speakers at the base but the Revel speakers are curved. I am using Wali dual side clamping wall mounts. Would the clamping be sufficient or should I secure them additionally using something else. It looks like they have bolt threaded nuts already at the base for attaching to their stands. Thoughts please

Also, will the proximity to the wall cause issues for these speakers?

As I mentioned in another post, I am looking at upgrading my surround speakers. I currently have rectangular speakers at the base but the Revel speakers are curved. I am using Wali dual side clamping wall mounts. Would the clamping be sufficient or should I secure them additionally using something else. It looks like they have bolt threaded nuts already at the base for attaching to their stands. Thoughts please

I'd do something to secure them. A strap, screw, bracket, or anything to keep them from tipping off the bracket when you inevitably bonk one with your head.

Also, will the proximity to the wall cause issues for these speakers?

For surround? I don't think it will matter much. Depends on how close to the wall they are and where the ports are located. If the ports are on the rear and you are not plugging them, then they need enough space to breath freely without any restriction. If you are worried about baffle step issues, you could put a 24 x 24 x 2 absorption panel directly behind them.

@Flint what is an example of a strap to use? I don't want to damage the speakers. If the back screw sits over top the holding plate then I can just drill a hole in the holding plate.

But the movement of the drivers won't jar it loose?

@Flint what is an example of a strap to use? I don't want to damage the speakers. If the back screw sits over top the holding plate then I can just drill a hole in the holding plate.

But the movement of the drivers won't jar it loose?

My old surrounds speakers were on wall mounts which were a shelf with a nylon strap I positioned over the top of the speaker and tightened down so the speaker was pulled down to the plate under the speaker. I'll try to find an old photo for you.

Okay that could work. Silly question where do you get those straps?

Funny thing is I kind of remember that pic

Okay it has taken me a bit but I finally took down the speakers and mounts so I could drill a hole in them wide enough to accommodate a 1/4" bolt. I used a 9/32" drill bit and drilled in the existing smaller hole on the back of the base plate.

rps20190327_104903.jpg
The bolt fits perfectly and the 1/4" bolt screws into the bottom of the speaker's predrilled hole . The bolt is an extra hold down to the side clamping. I think the side clamping does the job but this is added security. I will add some pics of the speaker up in a bit

rps20190327_104942.jpg

I used the 3 small holes on the mount to screw into my surrounds, it has held up extremely well!

I used the 3 small holes on the mount to screw into my surrounds, it has held up extremely well!
Problem is the predrilled holes and footprint are too big. The front holes go out a bit from the base. The back is the only one that works. But again the clamping is the majority of hold

Okay here's the setup. I took the picture and then freaked out thinking the bottom of my speakers were scraped up. Then I realized it was a reflection of the 10 AWG wire on my floor awaiting install. As you can see the front predrilled holes are in front of the base platerps20190328_005404.jpg

Back