• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Sharp LED TV: Help me understand how sub-pixels aren't BS

yromj

A friend of mine, whom I've done a LOT of A/V work for, just bought a new sharp 70" LED 3DTV. When we were talking about it he mentioned 16 million pixels and I just kind of shook my head thinking "Yeah, whatever." I'm having look up some info on it (to try and see if it supports Audio Return Channel via HDMI) and I ran across the tech specs. These specs make the purist/geek part of me want to puke, but I could be missing something. So before I go off on a rant about this, I would to throw it out for discussion. Here are the specs ripped from Sharp's site:

PANEL SPECIFICATIONS
Q+ Technology: Yes
Quattron™ Technology: Yes
Revelation™ Upscaler: Yes
Display Panel Type: LCD
Backlight Type-Source: LED-Edge Lit
Effective Resolution: Up to 3840 x 2160
Native Panel Resolution: 1920 x 1080, Full HD
Subpixels: 16 million

Aspect Ratio: 16x9
Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 12,000,000:1
Refresh Panel Rate : 240Hz
Refresh Scanning Rate: AquoMotion 960
Super Bright: Yes

The bold ones are the ones I take exception with. Thoughts?

John

Re: Sharp LED TV: Help me understand how sub-pixels aren't B

Quattron Technology...........WTF is that? I have seen Sharp television in stores with that label but it makes no sense to me.

Quatron is where Sharp takes the typical 3 sub-colors (red, green, and blue) and "adds" a fourth- yellow. This is another piece of technology that leaves me guessing because they first have to "assemble" the color data for the pixel, using the original 3 colors, then "disassemble" it into 4 colors.

John

I can't comment on the true technical geek stuff, but whenever I have looked at one of those Sharp Quattron displays vs any other display along the same level...Sharp has not been the winner. Wouldn't buy their displays no matter how tempting an 80" panel display is.

Isn't marketing grand?

Rope

Back