• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Simple DIY Stable Turntable Platform

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
I recently posted about my DIY Equipment Rack/Stand project. While I was working on that, I also decided that since I am going to permanently have a high-quality turntable setup in my primary "demo" room for showing off my speaker designs, I should probably make the turntable sound as good as I can without going crazy with ultra-audiophile nonsense.

To reduce mechanical vibrations from getting through the floor or A/V stand to the turntable, I chose to make a heavy turntable platform and suspend it on thick Sorbothane pads to isolate vibrations in the A/V rack from the platform. And, since the platform is very heavy, acoustic energy shouldn't cause acoustics vibrations which create microphonic feedback.

Following so far? Low mass highly compliant goo to absorb and isolate a huge, dense mass which should be stable on the suspension. Check!

I used the same method I used on the shelves for my equipment rack, which was glued layers of MDF and 1/2" Plywood, only this time I doubled the layers. I also used pieces and strips of MDF in the middle layers rather than single full sized sheets which will breakup any possibility of large panel resonances to some extent.

Here's a photo of the layers:

Flint_TurntableBase_20190326_140628.jpg
Photo 1: Edge view of the stacked layers of MDF & 1/2" Birch plywood.

Notice that there are 8 pieces of MDF clearly visible on their edges. In the other direction there are two pieces of MDF. The 1/2" plywood sheets are on the top and bottom with the finished sides facing outward.

Once the glue dried, I used my table saw to slowly clean up the edges and make the platform perfectly square. Then I glued 3/4" white pine to all four edges to get an attractive look.

Flint_TurntableBase_20190326_181904.jpg
Photo 2: Front and rear white pine edging glued and clamped on

I then used a flush trim router bit to make the pine level with the faces of the plywood. Then I sanded thoroughly to ensure the joint between the edge wood and the face of the plywood was smooth with no gaps or ridges.

Flint_TurntableBase_20190326_200647.jpg
Photo 3: Platform after sanding the top and bottom surfaces

Then I rounded over all the edges and stained the wood on both sides. I used an American Mahogany stain first to get a reddish/brown color. But, I didn't feel the grain was pronounced enough, so I after the initial stain application dried I applied a Pure Black stain and wiped it off thoroughly, which leaves the darkness in the grain while removing the majority of the black on the non-grain area.

Flint_TurntableBase_20190328_105753.jpg
Photo 4: Platform after coats of Mahogany and later Pure Black stains.

I then lightly sanded with 600 grit finishing sand paper before hand finishing with about 6 coats of Tung Oil.

While the oil was drying I assembled my equipment rack, built and installed the bottom braces for the rack's feet, and cut some little pie shaped pieces from a half round stack of Sorbothane I used on my old main loudspeakers and I've been holding onto for a year as I knew I'd find a use for it at some point.

And I did find a perfect application for the stuff.

It is 3 layers of 1/4" thick DURO 50 Sorbothane with a thin layer of neoprene drawer liner applied to the top and bottom to keep the gooey Sorbothane from sticking to the surface of whatever I put it on.

Flint_TurntableBase_20190329_120132.jpg
Photo 5: Single pie-shaped piece of Sorbothane

I carefully measured and placed the four pieces of Sorbothane I cut on the top of my equipment rack, then I grabbed the platform and weighed it using a bathroom scale. It turns out to be about 23 lbs, which should be excellent for this task.

Flint_TurntableBase_20190329_120139.jpg
Photo 6: Pieces of Sorbothane ready to be put to use

Since the oil was dry, though still slightly smelly (it'll be completely dried in a day, or so), I put the platform on the rack and set the turntable on it.

Flint_TurntableBase_20190329_120501.jpg
Photo 7: Platform on rack from the side

Flint_TurntableBase_20190329_120532.jpg
Photo 8: Platform on rack from front edge - notice I picked a piece of pine with an interesting grain for the front edge

Flint_TurntableBase_20190329_121428.jpg
Photo 9: Rack with platform and turntable playing a Frank Zappa LP

I tested the system with the most basic and obvious tests I could think up...

As an LP was playing I tapped on the equipment rack shelves, the metal posts, and feet to see if I could hear any results. I could not. YAY! I then tapped the platform both on the top and side and did get some audible results, as expected. Great!

I then played some very loud music and listened for feedback and watched the woofers on my Rocketman loudspeakers, and while there was still some flopping around of the woofers (as is common with turntables where there isn't a subsonic filter on the preamp, like mine) the amount of flopping in the woofers was considerably less for the same LP as before I installed the platform. Yay!!!

I am very pleased. This should greatly improve the performance of my turntable system going forward. Now I just need to find some way of installing a subsonic filter on the thing.

Looks awesome.
Jealous of your DIY woodworking skills.
Aren't you worried that the sorbothane will melt and turn into goo again?

Looks awesome.
Jealous of your DIY woodworking skills.
Aren't you worried that the sorbothane will melt and turn into goo again?

This is the same stuff that melted, and it was used to support (isolate) the upper frequency modules of my main speakers for 12 years without any problems. It was only the Sorbothane that was used as a speaker gasket behind the driver flanges that failed and turned into goo. I think this stuff will be fine.

While the oil was drying I assembled my equipment rack, built and installed the bottom braces for the rack's feet, and cut some little pie shaped pieces from a half round stack of Sorbothane I used on my old main loudspeakers and I've been holding onto for a year as I knew I'd find a use for it at some point.

And I did find a perfect application for the stuff.

It is 3 layers of 1/4" thick DURO 50 Sorbothane with a thin layer of neoprene drawer liner applied to the top and bottom to keep the gooey Sorbothane from sticking to the surface of whatever I put it on.

View attachment 9015
Photo 5: Single pie-shaped piece of Sorbothane

I carefully measured and placed the four pieces of Sorbothane I cut on the top of my equipment rack, then I grabbed the platform and weighed it using a bathroom scale. It turns out to be about 23 lbs, which should be excellent for this task.

View attachment 9016
Photo 6: Pieces of Sorbothane ready to be put to use

Since the oil was dry, though still slightly smelly (it'll be completely dried in a day, or so), I put the platform on the rack and set the turntable on it.

View attachment 9017
Photo 7: Platform on rack from the side

View attachment 9018
Photo 8: Platform on rack from front edge - notice I picked a piece of pine with an interesting grain for the front edge
look at those blue bonnets in the background. All in all, looks very nice.

Back