• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Slingtv

walls

So we are a week in, and my opinion so far, pretty damn good. Pic quality is better then DISH and load times are completely minimal. With the Roku as the driver one can see what's on the other channels just like a guide and switch between them rather quickly

Gonna give it another week of full blown watching and then report back, but my quick opinion, I am happy to report that I am saving almost $100 a month and don't feel like I'm missing anything.

Walls, does the Sling TV also receive the OTA networks (CBS, NBC, ABC)?

Keep me honest Walls but as I understand it, Sling does not allow you to "record" or playback broadcasts more than 3 days after they've aired and some Sling channels may not allow you to playback at all.

I'm not sure about playback as all I've watched is live TV. But combining sling with an antenna and the roku with a Netflix subscription has proven to be moret hen enough for us.

I talked to a sling rep for quite a while and the first thing they are goingt o offer as an upgrade is going to be the ability to stream 2 or 3 devices at a time for an additional $5 a month. For me that would be the icing on the cake.
I paid the three months up front to get the free roku stick, which I was going to buy regardless, so basically trying sling for three months was free for me.

Way to go walls. This coming football season I'm going to try it. Right now I use our Wii U for Netflix & Amazon Prime. SlingTV doesn't support Wii U right now though.

Barney said:
Way to go walls. This coming football season I'm going to try it. Right now I use our Wii U for Netflix & Amazon Prime. SlingTV doesn't support Wii U right now though.

I would just pay for the three months now, even if you opt not to keep it you get a free Roku stick so it ends up being a wash. And there is a ton of things to watch on Roku.

The other thing I discovered today Is that I can rewind the program I am watching, but if I change channels it's gone and back to live TV. This may come in handy during football.

walls said:
Barney said:

I would just pay for the three months now, even if you opt not to keep it you get a free Roku stick so it ends up being a wash. And there is a ton of things to watch on Roku.

The other thing I discovered today Is that I can rewind the program I am watching, but if I change channels it's gone and back to live TV. This may come in handy during football.

I may check that Roku stick idea out. I have a Google Chromcast but I got tied with "pink" screen issues, having to re-boot all the time etc. Have you had any issues with that Roku stick ?

Nope. Has worked really well for me.

You can also pay for three months and opt for a roku 3 for $50. I have a roku 3 but have yet to hook it up downstairs, supposedly it's fadt then th stick.

I've had so many troubles with 2.4Ghz wireless that I wouldn't consider relying on it for our primary viewing. That's just me though. The streaming boxes with Ethernet ports are all small/light enough to hide (think Velcro).

That's a checkmark in the CON column for Tivo; the relatively large form factor of the DVR.

Sling passed a big test for me, i read that it crashed once or twice during the walking dead but that they had fixed the issue, well it was flawless for me tonight.

Plus CNET reported that History Channel, A&E and Lifetime would be added to the $20 package by the end of March. Getting better and better!

Power Line Networking is a great option for streaming if your house is not wired for Ethernet. It is pretty stable and has dedicated bandwidth. I use it to get most of my fixed location networked devices off of my WiFi, which frees up a lot of bandwidth. The Roku TV I have in the master does not have an Ethernet port, but I have a PLN module with a built-in N300 access point on the third floor that more than covers those needs. It was a very simple way to fill in a WiFi coverage gap seamlessly (I used SSID cloning) and to provide a bit of extra bandwidth.

Haywood, you are talking to a guy that can build your house but has not one clue about anything you just said. Lol

Turned on my tv this morning and was pleasantly surprised to see we now also have A&E, History, H2 and lifetime as part of the $20 package!!

Another thing to add, we now have roku sticks on every TV in the house and while SlingTV can only be watched on one set at a time you do NOT have to log in or out every time you switch TV's.

Also have found a couple shows through Roku that are really good, and I haven't even scratched the surface of what's available for free.

So a solid three months in and here is where I stand so far, Slingtv has worked well for us but there have been some growing pains. For whatever reason we had a very hard time getting sling to work worth a shit for about a week, and nothing I tried helped until I realized that it was because we had "installed" a wifi extender.
Also every once in a while a channel will not load, and while for now it's not often enough to bother me, we will see how I feel during Monday night football and the walking dead. Lol
also sling has problems when my family has all the phones and iPads running, however that is more my problem then slings.

I will know for sure wether or not it stays in my house come NFL and walking dead time.

I'm still waiting to pull the trigger. Still 3 months till football season. But I sure would love watching some drag racing on ESPN2.

Bump
Walls, alot of folks are dropping slingtv.
Are you keeping it ?
Our house is wifi busy but I have good speed around 100mbps.

Their might be some announcements soon from a large TV provider thay may have some streaming options available.

Back