• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

SNL 40 years.

walls

Wow was this subpar, really want my 2 1/2 hours back. All the great cast members, all the great music and for 90% of the show they utilized none of it.
But at least Kanye West and Miley Cyrus got to perform COMPLETE songs right!!

Agreed, I watched about 45 minutes of it and switched channels.

When disappointed in a show, it is surprising you'd spend 150 minutes watching it through to the end.

My wife was watching it as well, she wanted to see it till the end so I sat through it with her.

Regardless, it was pretty much shit.

I've read a ton of reviews saying it was awful. Shame - that was a great show.

Towen7 said:
Yeah ... I think they tried too hard to pack too much in.

That's what I thought. Just like the Eddie Murphy portion it seemed he was maybe trying not to steal too much of the limelight from the others, but he seemed rushed and he barely said anything that could be considered comical.

I think it would have been great to see all the living present and past cast members doing skits for the entire show. There were a few and a couple of them were pretty good but otherwise it was a rushed mess.

walls said:
I think it would have been great to see all the living present and past cast members doing skits for the entire show. There were a few and a couple of them were pretty good but otherwise it was a rushed mess.

Agreed, that would have been amazing.

1. I just went through the entire Rolling Stone list and cannot disagree with any of it.

2. I did watch the entire show (PVR - commercial-free) and while much of it was ho-hum, some painfully-bad, there were some flashes of brilliance, and heart-touching moments.

And now for a bit of a thread hijack...

I spent many a Saturday evening gathered with floor mates and gals around the dorm floor's television in '78 (and '79, and '80 as well), and the show brought back a flood of memories from those times, almost all of them good. I'd never seen the show before, and it struck a chord back then, and that chord is still resonating!

One linked memory: we had a chap living on the floor with us back then by the name of Mark Valcour. He was quite the character and one heck of a terrific guy. He was always there with us on those Saturday nights. He was a "sound" guy and had gear stuffed into his room that we could only dream of. He could mix the most outstanding six hour party tapes from records on his reel-to-reel, and even at 1 7/8 ips he could make it sound great. He went on to have a long career doing sound and teaching at the university. And it was but a few weeks ago that I learned that he had passed away, in his sleep. Here are a couple links that you might want to follow. This is not about someone's death, but about a great life that affected and touched hundreds of people. SNL40 brought back even more memories of Mark and that Saturday nights crew.

http://www.carleton.ca/journalism/2015/remembering-mark-valcour/

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...und-guy-mark-valcour-had-the-best-ears-around

I think the only thing on the list that I do disagree with is that they put John Belushi at number one instead of Eddie Murphy. If Belushi was still alive I honestly think it would have been Murphy.

I saw a report this morning about how Eddie was supposed to do a sketch making fun of Bill Cosby but he chose not to kick the man while he was down. Instead he just winged the short appreciation speech. Apparently Norm McDonald was tweeting all the details yesterday.

Towen7 said:
I saw a report this morning about how Eddie was supposed to do a sketch making fun of Bill Cosby but he chose not to kick the man while he was down. Instead he just winged the short appreciation speech. Apparently Norm McDonald was tweeting all the details yesterday.

Yeah, here's the link to the Norm McDonald tweets: :text-link:. I thought it was a pretty interesting read...

Back