• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Some Roku Questions

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
I have a Roku 2 in the bedroom and a 3 in the living room. I see now along with the 4 there are the Stick, Ultra, and others some with HDR and "MIMO", so in sets my confusion.

I think I understand what HDR is after seeing a thread on it by Zing in this same section but what the heck is MIMO? I'd like to add a Roku for downstairs, but am kinda holding out until I can add a TV to my bar as I would prefer to keep my HT mainly for just movie nights. All my TVs are 720p, so if I were to add a 3rd Roku, would be the best option for the money?

An idea I had, after my bar TV is purchased, was to:

1) move the 2 downstairs, the 3 to the bedroom, and add a 4 for the living room. I see there's the Ultra and stick, so another option I thought was....

2) getting a couple of sticks for downstairs and the bedroom and just keep running the 3 in the living room for the time being. Another option I've thought was.....

3) buy the best performing Roku for the living room TV, move the 3 to the bedroom or downstairs, and add a stick for the least watched TV (or go with a second Stick if they are better than the 2 and 3).

What would you do? As I said, with all my TVs being 720p, I don't know if I would benefit from the newer Rokus, but if they are faster performing than what I have, I may reconsider. I can tell the 2 is slower than the 3, but the 2 is wireless and the 3 is on an Ethernet connection, so maybe that's what I'm really seeing.

On another note, I know a new TV is going to be better than my 720p sets, so I may place the newest TV in the living room and pair it with the newest Roku, and move the plasma as my bar TV.

Thanks and sorry for the winded post.

MIMO is "Multi-Input / Multi-Output" and is a term usually used for multiple antennas and radios so you get better reception, beam steering, throughput, and so on. It only works if your wireless router (access point) also supports MIMO.

Thanks; my replacement router (after the tornado/storm fried my old one) has MIMO but nothing in the manual about what it was.

Do not buy the Roku 4. It has fan noise, red push and lip sync problems. Get the new Ultra. It is way better, way quieter and supports HDR.

I would get an Ultra for the main system, put the Roku 3 somewhere else and then buy sticks for the rest of the locations, assuming you have good wifi.

I've read a lot of articles on the new Roku's that have come out and the consensus is if you have an older TV it's best just to stick with the older models and not bother with the new models as they are best for 1080p/4K and HDR sets. You gain nothing by hooking up a new model to a 720p set.

I've read a lot of articles on the new Roku's that have come out and the consensus is if you have an older TV it's best just to stick with the older models and not bother with the new models as they are best for 1080p/4K and HDR sets. You gain nothing by hooking up a new model to a 720p set.

Exactly why I was asking. If the navigation and user interface are faster/simpler, That may still sway me. Anyone know how the $50 sticks compare to the higher priced 3s, 4s, Ultras?

I think I'll get the Ultra and avoid the 4 when I splurge on the new set. I'll get a stick for the bedroom. The 3 will go downstairs unless the Stick is a better option.

The stick is not better than the 3, but it should be reasonably comparable. I agree that getting a 4K box for anything but a 4K TV is pointless.

The stick is not better than the 3, but it should be reasonably comparable. I agree that getting a 4K box for anything but a 4K TV is pointless.

Unless you plan on using the streaming device for more than a few years, at which point you might just buy a 4K TV and wish you had something to feed it a 4K signal.

Unless you plan on using the streaming device for more than a few years, at which point you might just buy a 4K TV and wish you had something to feed it a 4K signal.

True, but these streaming sticks only cost $50 and new models with more features come out almost every year. If you are going to wait 3+ years to replace a secondary TV, it would make more sense to spend $50 now (as opposed to $130) and then buy a new box when you eventually replace the TV, if you even need to. Most TVs these days are smart TVs with robust streaming capabilities built in.

I just know I haven't regretted ensuring I got the latest capabilities with every small & affordable gadget I've ever purchased. It may seem pointless today, but in two months or a year you may be out shopping for a new stick wondering why you didn't get that feature last year and didn't have to buy something new so soon.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll just keep what I have going for now. When I get ready to get a new TV, I'll get the Roku Ultra with it and put it in the living room. It will replace the TV and Roku 3 which will then go downstairs to my bar. I think I'll just leave the bedroom TV/Roku 2 as is since the wife and kids use it more than me.

Appreciate the help.

Back