• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Sony 75" XBR75X850E

bmwuk

I had just recently purchased this TV but other than a few minutes here or there, haven't watched it. This is in "my" room with my speakers and I was waiting to get everything setup before really calibrating.

That said, any knowledge or help on calibrating this TV. First thing is to get the soap opera effect off because it looks so unnatural.

I'd recommend you calibrate it yourself first with a couple of calibration discs, such as DVE, Disney WoW, etc. If you're not satisfied with the results of self-calibration, you can always hire a pro. But of all the people I know that have had their displays professionally calibrated, nearly half have complaints or are otherwise disappointed with the results.

Poke around on AVS. You might be able to find good calibration settings there. It is not as good as ISF calibration in that it does not factor in the specific lighting conditions in your room, but it gets you pretty close. I did that with my XBR75X940C and am pretty happy with the results.

In response to the soap opera effect, find settings like "Edge Enhancement" etc. and disable those. Basically look for anything that has to with edges and possibly motion and experiment.

John

I have found most modern high quality televisions just need to be set to "cinema" or "movie" mode and they are damn near spot on. Generally manufacturers have realized customers of higher end displays expect an accurate mode. That and the ease of pre-programming lots of settings at the factory have reduced the need for in-home calibration.

People still love to tinker, and factory settings cannot predict your room lighting and colors, but no online settings database can address your room perfectly and could actually give worse results if your room is significantly different from the online dude's room.

The guy I got my settings from is a professional calibrator who made an effort at making the settings as generally applicable as possible. He provided both Day and Night settings, which was helpful. Here are the night settings he provided, as an example. Note that this set has a TON of adjustments.

Mode: Cinema Pro
Auto Picture Mode: OFF
Brightness: 8
Light Sensor: OFF
Color: 50
Contrast: 88
Gamma: -2
Black Level: 50
Black Adjust: OFF
Advanced Contrast Enhancer: OFF
Auto Local Dimming: Medium
X-Tended Dynamic Range: OFF
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Expert 1
Color Space: Auto
Live Color: OFF
Advanced Color Temperature
R-Gain: -1
G-Gain: -2
B-Gain: -4
R-Bias: 0
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: 0
Multipoint: 10p
Color Gamut Adjustment Points: 1
R-Offset: 0​
Sharpness: 28
All other Clarity Settings: OFF/MIN
Motionflow: Custom
Smoothness: MIN
Clearness: 1
Film Mode: OFF​

Pictures pictures pictures!!!

Nice display!
Pic i took a week or so ago when i unboxed it. Just AT&T uverse picture. On bottom but not running is my Darbee edition BDP-103D

Attachments

• 20170715_235933_1500181186347.jpeg
    20170715_235933_1500181186347.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 11
You are not going to want to engage Darbee with this set.
Okay. Actually may eventually get a UHD player and move that for our 65. I will tinker with settings in a bit. I wanted to have audio running so I could do everthing all same night

With light on. Looks small in picture but it is a monster
It is about as close as you can get to a true theater experience without a dedicated room and a projector. I still get a big stupid grin from sometimes while watching my 75.

Last edited:
Back