• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Sony launches semi-affordable true 4K proector

^ no not taking a second mortgage, but this is a great sign as I have access to JVC (one of Sony's main competitors in the segment) and I'm waiting for second or third gen native 4k projectors to grab a truly affordable high performance replacement for my current JVC.

No second mortgage, but if I ever take on another small consulting project I'd consider treating myself to one.

More importantly, the article links to the Optoma UHD60 which I'd not known about. Sure it's not a full 4k, but for $2k, and with vertical lens shift (which I absolutely need in order to use a projector in my main HT), it's something to consider.

I have been very happy with my current JVC, and would not hesitate to get a 4K version when the time comes....and the price drops!!

Review from WSJ:

BN-VO392_HOMETH_574V_20171012132317.jpg

Finally: A Home-Cinema Projector That Costs Less Than a Small Car

www.wsj.com |
1 min read

[The new Sony VPL-VW285ES 4K projector can turn any room into a state-of-the-art screening room

Illustration: Stuart Bradford
By
Jesse Will
Oct. 12, 2017 3:20 p.m. ET

Great news for home-theater geeks: While the name of the new Sony VPL-VW285ES 4K projector may not exactly roll off the tongue, it casts an excellent high-dynamic-range picture and, at $5,000, it’s not exceedingly expensive relative to similar units. Just two years ago, the cheapest 4K Sony projector cost twice that amount.

For the non-techies among us, 4K offers nearly four times the pixels as a Full HD (1080p) high-definition signal that’s been common to TVs, projectors, videogames and cable providers for a decade. Theaters started projecting in 4K in 2011. Analysts predict that over 40% of TVs sold in 2017 will be 4K-capable.

While flat-panel 4K TVs have gotten cheaper—you can nab a good 65-inch one for less than $1,000—larger panels, say 75 inches, often command five figures. Sony’s new projector can produce a 200-inch image, almost three times as large as 75 inches.

To test it, we decided to let “Wonder Woman” loom large. We used a Samsung Ultra HD 4K Blu-ray player and 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray disc (note: Both player and disc must be 4K-compatible). Setup consisted of wiring an HDMI cable to the Blu-ray player and cable to an existing sound system. The image, projected onto a portable screen, was wondrous, womanly, high-contrast and bright, even in an imperfectly dark room.

It’s easier to find 4K content as more 4K streaming methods become available. There’s Apple’s new Apple TV 4K. Roku and Amazon also make 4K streaming devices. But until your 4K library builds up, why not work on getting that popcorn up to Cineplex quality? Hint: Flavacol seasoning.

Back