• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Sound bar/ Soundstand

bmwuk

I've been toying with the idea of a sound bar or sound bar that a65" TV with stand can rest on top of. This is for the TV that my wife and girls use mainly. The stand is for a 65" but it has room in the middle, underneath the tv to place a cable box and super small blue ray player. I don't want to mount the TV to the wall because it is that weird wood panel that isn't repairable like drywall. And I can't place it on the furniture in front of the TV stand because it will block the cable box and Blu-ray player

So the thought is something like a Zvox. Any experience with this or others like it. I see one used for $125 that is a good price relative to the retail of $329.

Sounds like you’re looking at a sound base. I think Batman has a Zvox sound base. I have an older Zvox sound bar and it’s pretty decent.

Sounds like you’re looking at a sound base. I think Batman has a Zvox sound base. I have an older Zvox sound bar and it’s pretty decent.
Seems that way. Only exception would be me building the base and then put a soundbar in front of

The only other soundbase I’m familiar with is the overpriced Sonos Playbase.

I have two ZVox bases, one in the master bedroom on my dresser and one in the family room. I’ve been very pleased with them. The bedroom ZVox used to be in our family room until we put a 65” TV in there so I got a much larger one. I wasn’t happy with the TV sound in the bedroom because we’re ~20’ from the TV so I put the smaller one under our wall mounted TV. Our newer one has Bluetooth. They’re not cheap so I’d see about a used one.

IF we were to remove the variable of being in front of the tv and not blocking anything,

Yamaha YSP 1600, using true discrete 5.1 speakers (its their language, not mine), and using their YAS technology, i am very satisfied with mine. sure its got hiccups, but man, it works well enough for my yearning for surrounds here at our temporary room. a big plus is it has its own subwoofer built in, and despite physics telling me no, it works well ENOUGH for a bedroom. if not, add on a yamaha subwoofer and.or anything you got laying around the house. it also has a built in IR repeater on the back to help with signals. Also has an option to send audio to a bluetooth headseat (yup, worked well for me), so when you want to use it around sleeping people, it does the job.

another would be the LG SJ9, which i also have.

atmos works pretty well, and despite trying to angle it (it was blocking the tv infrared reciever), i used doorstops for the meantime.

im happy with it, i use the Movie mode and the ASC mode most of the time, and i am satisfied with it. downside is that the subwoofer is wireless, and is dedicated to the system, unlike yamaha soundbars, which more than often allow you to add on a subwoofer.

it works well too for gaming.

Back