• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Speaker time

Cool. So do you have some sort of modeling/design process you go through, to choose drivers, cabinet size, etc.? Or is this more a just-for-fun-let's-see-how-this-sounds kinda deal? (And nothing wrong with that!)

This one falls in between. I had the drivers, so not a design from scratch. The cabinet is designed around the woofer parameters. The mids and tweeters will be on individual attenuators, so I can manually tune these for better balance. Normally this would be done by resistor calculation in the crossovers. This is a quick and dirty way. Again, a fun project and not looking for a end game Speaker.

@Wardsweb, have you tried any of the "hard-wax oils" that are all the rage now? They don't leave a thick gloss, but the surfaces I've seen have been incredible, and it looks like a much easier finish process.
(and that veneer you've used is stunning!!)

@Wardsweb, have you tried any of the "hard-wax oils" that are all the rage now? They don't leave a thick gloss, but the surfaces I've seen have been incredible, and it looks like a much easier finish process.
(and that veneer you've used is stunning!!)
I have used many different finishes over the years; Deft lacquer, Liberon finishing oil, Sam Maloof poly oil, Varathane finishing wax, Varathane polyurethane, Minwax polyurethane, to name a few.

lovely.

how about the science of the speaker itself, creating channels etc. or is this a straight box kinda deal?

dude you are a magician. i seriously wish i had your skills.

lovely.

how about the science of the speaker itself, creating channels etc. or is this a straight box kinda deal?

dude you are a magician. i seriously wish i had your skills.
The box dimensions are built around the woofer parameters. The mid and tweeter will be dialed in after assembly.

Oh wow, those are a lot bigger than I thought from earlier pics!

Back