• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Squeeze, Paul Carrack, Elvis Costello and "Tempted"

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
The period of 1983-1987 was a period of growth/change for me; left home, first Air Force assignment, traveling the States/world, good bands, some success with girls, and even some money to spend. I was absorbing music like a sponge but if I had to pick one band as my soundtrack for that period, it would have to be Squeeze. Were not that popular in the US, but I was crazy for them. Odd that the only "big" single they ever really had here was "Tempted", and the normal lead singer for Squeeze didn't sing it, some guy named Paul Carrack did. Just ran across this Professor of Rock mini-doc about the song, and I learned a whole bunch of things.

Turns out Mr. Carrack was also the lead vocalist for Ace's "How Long (has this been goin' on?)", and the lead vocalist for Mike and the Mechanics, another favorite from that period. Elvis Costello co-produced the album "East Side Stories", and in fact sang the low vocal part on the 2nd verse (it doesn't sound like him at all). The video above also calls out some of the other big artists at the time, and reminded me of others: Level 42, Rush's Power Windows, Sadé, Phil Collins, Pet Shop Boys; what a magical time.

Here's the "official" video of Tempted:

Last edited:
Wow, I'm familiar with that particular song (like most people over the age of 40 probably), but if you had asked me, I would've had no idea what band it was by...

The period of 1983-1987 was a period of growth/change for me; left home, first Air Force assignment, traveling the States/world, good bands, some success with girls, and even some money to spend. I was absorbing music like a sponge but if I had to pick one band as my soundtrack for that period, it would have to be Squeeze. Were not that popular in the US, but I was crazy for them. Odd that the only "big" single they ever really had here was "Tempted", and the normal lead singer for Squeeze didn't sing it, some guy named Paul Carrack did. Just ran across this Professor of Rock mini-doc about the song, and I learned a whole bunch of things.

Turns out Mr. Carrack was also the lead vocalist for Ace's "How Long (has this been goin' on?)", and the lead vocalist for Mike and the Mechanics, another favorite from that period. Elvis Costello co-produced the album "East Side Stories", and in fact sang the low vocal part on the 2nd verse (it doesn't sound like him at all). The video above also calls out some of the other big artists at the time, and reminded me of others: Rush's Power Windows, Sadé, Phil Collins, Pet Shop Boys; what a magical time.

Here's the "official" video of Tempted:

Botch,
You have probably seen enough of my posts in "what are you listening to" to know I love Squeeze. When Argy Bargy came out in 1980 by cousin bought it. We wore the grooves out on that album!! I was lucky enough to see them in Toronto in 1985. Chris Difford is a brilliant lyricist IMHO.
Case in point, Up the Junction off Cool for Cats.

Ok, now I actually watched the video before posting. This video was really about how great he thought Paul Carrack was singing Tempted. To me he is a hired gun and Glen Tilbrook will always be the voice of Squeeze. Tempted isn't even my favourite song on that particular album. Had to get that off my chest...I feel better now!!:biggrin:

Back