• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Star Trek: Discovery delayed again

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
I have been stoked about CBS bringing us a new Star Trek series, having completely fallen in love with the previous TV Series, Enterprise.

They originally set this month as the premiere, so in September I signed up for CBS All Access to ensure I could watch it since CBS said it would only be available via their streaming service. Then they pushed it out to April to "get it right for the fans." I was okay with that.

Now they are delaying it "indefinitely."

Bummer, but I would rather wait a few more months than be disappointed.

Here's a blogger talking about the details:
http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/18/14313432/star-trek-discovery-delay-cbs-all-access-no-release-date

This is the show that could entice me to add CBS All Access to my list of streaming services, but I will not do so until right before the scheduled air date.

That was half the reason why I added CBS All Access. SEC Football for the other half.

Just hope it isn't stupid like Supergirl. I watched about 10 minutes of the first episode on Netflix....Lame. In a way, I wished ST was picked up by Netflix or AMC. Most of the shows I like/watch are on those.

Whoop! They have a date for the premier of Star Trek: Discovery. It launches on September 24, 2017 with the first episode appearing on CBS Broadcast and the rest of the season being exclusively shown on CBS All Access, the streaming service.

And for Canadian fans (from Wiki):

CBS Studios International licensed the series to Bell Media for broadcast in Canada, and to Netflix for another 188 countries. For Canada, the premiere will be broadcast on the CTV network on the same night as the U.S. premiere, with subsequent episodes initially aired on Bell's science fiction cable channels—Space in English, Z in French—before being streamed on CraveTV. For the other countries, Netflix will release each episode of the series for streaming within 24 hours of its U.S. debut. This agreement also saw Bell and Netflix acquire all previous Star Trek series to stream in their entirety.​

I get Space HD as part of my Rogers cable bundle so I'm good. In addition Space is one of the available Rogers-on-Demand channels so if for some reason an episode does not get PVR'd, I can always access it that way.

Jeff

So, who's watched the first episode? I liked parts, but overall, i'm not sure I'm totally on-board... and definitely won't subscribe to their CBS All Access just for this. I hope this experiment (i.e., CBS All Access) they've got going dies quickly.

I am planning on watching it tonight. I always give the Star Trek franchise the benefit of the doubt when they start a new series. Nearly all of them start off slow and build in quality and entertainment value over time. Go back to the first few episodes of Star Track TNG or Enterprise and you can see what I mean.

I think I watched it? I started watching upstairs LIVE, then set it to tape downstairs. Put kids to bed and half hour later started watching on the PVR downstairs and it seemed to have skipped the part I watched upstairs. Then to add to my confusion they showed another episode (I think) on the Space channel??
They were fighting the Klingons , right??
Might see if I can watch it again somehow and get my Sh$t straight!! I blame NFL football....seriously!! Preempts stuff and it gets me all out of whack!!

I am planning on watching it tonight. I always give the Star Trek franchise the benefit of the doubt when they start a new series. Nearly all of them start off slow and build in quality and entertainment value over time. Go back to the first few episodes of Star Track TNG or Enterprise and you can see what I mean.

Totally agree...

I also want you to see the show before i start getting into specifics.

I watched the first two episodes last night. Not overly impressed but will wait to see how things develop.

I watched the first two episodes and really liked them. The only complaint I had was the overdone heavy molded masks the Klingons were wearing. I have grown annoyed with making aliens look like they cannot move from so damn much foam all over their heads and necks. But that's the trend and I need to accept it.

SPOILER ALERT!!!

I think it is important to note that these two episodes were the back story for the actual show going forward. The following 21, or so, episodes will take place on a different ship with a different captain and majority of the crew. The war started with the Klingons will have either been going on and escalating, or mellowed and potentially ended (I chose not to watch the entire "coming up" section at the end of part 2, so I don't know all the details going forward).

I loved the movie characteristics of complex background dialog being added, and other such things to add to the enveloping aspects of the experience. I hated the hologram communications - that wasn't in later technologies of series which are supposed to take place long after this series occurs in the Star Trek timeline. Enterprise did very well as not having more advanced technology than the original Star Trek or any of the later series. But it was good.

I am excited to see more.

I'm looking forward to watching it this weekend. I've certainly been enjoying The Orville, which is a great Star Trek spoof (sorta).

I'm looking forward to watching it this weekend. I've certainly been enjoying The Orville, which is a great Star Trek spoof (sorta).

I like Orville, but there are too few comedic moments, and most of them aren't funny. I watch it more for the story and he feel of the classic Star Trek: Next Generation.

I watched the first two episodes and really liked them. The only complaint I had was the overdone heavy molded masks the Klingons were wearing. I have grown annoyed with making aliens look like they cannot move from so damn much foam all over their heads and necks. But that's the trend and I need to accept it.

SPOILER ALERT!!!

I think it is important to note that these two episodes were the back story for the actual show going forward. The following 21, or so, episodes will take place on a different ship with a different captain and majority of the crew. The war started with the Klingons will have either been going on and escalating, or mellowed and potentially ended (I chose not to watch the entire "coming up" section at the end of part 2, so I don't know all the details going forward).

I loved the movie characteristics of complex background dialog being added, and other such things to add to the enveloping aspects of the experience. I hated the hologram communications - that wasn't in later technologies of series which are supposed to take place long after this series occurs in the Star Trek timeline. Enterprise did very well as not having more advanced technology than the original Star Trek or any of the later series. But it was good.

I am excited to see more.

I'll admit that I didn't know this was their version of The Menagerie and I only saw the first episode, so I might have a different opinion if I were to watch that; however, it's not worth the $5.99 with commercials or $9.99/mo without commercials. Granted, there are other shows on their separate channel, but what I've read doesn't indicate even that has been done well. If it were on regular broadcast TV, I would definitely have this on my DVR list of shows to record.

I like Orville, but there are too few comedic moments, and most of them aren't funny. I watch it more for the story and he feel of the classic Star Trek: Next Generation.

Well put -- I also wish they'd include more comedy, but still like the show. It might get more as time passes and they find what the audience wants.

I am really enjoying Discovery.

It feels more like a movie than a tv show, and is solid in story telling.

Discovery may be the best Trek yet.

I don't feel that strongly about it. After re-watching Enterprise about two years ago, I am convinced it is one of the best ever made. But, Discovery seems to be good so far. I struggle with some of the overly-stereotypical characters who refuse to have any form of a logical conversation with our protagonist, and that will get tired over time. If everyone our hero encounters just flat our ignores every single word she says going forward because they are blinded by their own narcissism and arrogance, I will grow weary of her plight.

CBS renewed Star Trek: Discovery for a second season. They are betting it all on this VERY expensive show to be successful for a LONG LONG time to come.

Back