• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Stereo Setup flanking Fireplace

Maximo

So I need to make a decision between floor standers and inwall speakers flanking my fireplace. This is just a tv support system and not meant for critical listening.

Thoughts?

IMG-20120624-00224.jpg

Maximo said:
This is just a tv support system and not meant for critical listening.

Thoughts?
In-walls. You won't have to move them when you vacuum...

Botch said:
Maximo said:
This is just a tv support system and not meant for critical listening.

Thoughts?
In-walls. You won't have to move them when you vacuum...

Who the hell moves their speakers when they vacuum? If this you, little suzy homemaker, pony up your man card!

Rope

^^^you can give your man card back if you make a woman move them to vacuum...that is...right after she makes you a sandwich.

Floor stands will be too low and will be distracting because the voices are coming from so far from the TV. In-walls mean up can never move them easily should you want to relocate the TV.

If your the type to know that you'll ever want to move the TV, go with in walls for sure.

I'd get a small three-piece speaker kit. I really hate in-walls as they are so permement. What happens if you get a larger new TV, or you wife decides that room doesn't need a TV, or you decide to put the TV on a different wall (I also hate TVs over a fireplace because you have to look up to see it and it hurts my neck while seated)???

I would get something like the Focal Sib XL
http://www.focal.com/en/home-audio-loud ... sib-xl.php

I slide my Linn speakers over every damn time I vacuum, on Wednesdays and Saturdays:

DavidLinn.jpg

If you wanna try and take my man card, bring it on. :angry-tappingfoot:

:happy-smileygiantred:

Thinking about this unit, fo my downstairs closet. Really don't need much more than that.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a- ... ifications

Good price for what I need. Which is volume control, OSD, and HDMI Switching. You can't beat it!

It even has outputs for 2 surrounds backs, that, if for some reason I wanted to use that Audiosource amp I have laying around I could do 7.1 in the downstairs LR.

Flint said:
I'd get a small three-piece speaker kit. I really hate in-walls as they are so permement. What happens if you get a larger new TV, or you wife decides that room doesn't need a TV, or you decide to put the TV on a different wall (I also hate TVs over a fireplace because you have to look up to see it and it hurts my neck while seated)???

I agree . A fireplace is nice but in most cases it makes a HT difficult to setup.

We had a nook above our fireplace in our Virginia house, ended up putting pictures and knick knacks up there, the flat screen went on the other wall. We could not imagine having to watch that thing with our heads at that angle.

Point taken, which is why it was never above the fireplace at our old home. However, our new living room is 20 feet long so the angle of departure is lessoned quite a bit.

After some thinking, if have another option to consider.

If I get this unit
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a- ... ver/1.html

Then I can feed a tv in the bedroom and have a separate 2.1 system off of those components. Which the more I think about it, it will never happen because the living rooms is right outside our bedroom and my wife hates having the tv in the bedroom.

Why I do htis to myself I will never know.

I refuse to have TV in my bedroom, and my wife is upset with me over it. Bedrooms are for two things and two things only... Sex and sleep. I absolutely refuse to turn my bed into a sofa for lounging around in until I cannot keep my eyes open one second longer.

I spend about 100 nights each year in hotel rooms and find that once I turn the TV on, even if there is nothing interesting to watch, I will stay up until WAY past my natural bedtime hoping something better will come on after the current crappy shows end. It is stupid. I prefer to be sitting in a different room, because once I realize I am ready for bed, I can just get up, leave the room with the TV in it, and fall asleep with no distractions. I get plenty of good sleep at home - something I cannot do in hotels. When people try to convince me I am wrong about having a TV in my bedroom, they all admit to doing what I describe above several times each week - at which point I know I am probably right.

No TV in our bedroom either...............

As a kid, I had a 12" XAM black and white TV from Korvettes, it got tons of use, however never had a TV in my/our bedroom since.

I agree here but I still allow the wife to have the TV and a small system, DVR, Apple TV and such because she is an amputee and when she comes home she likes to take the leg off and lay in bed. I see that she has a difficult time to get in and out of living room furniture and the added comfort of being able to easily move from the bed to the chair is a help. We have a 32 inch mounted to the wall, but the mount does not place the TV flat on the wall. We have it angled down towards the viewer for direct viewing.

Flint said:
I refuse to have TV in my bedroom, and my wife is upset with me over it. Bedrooms are for two things and two things only... Sex and sleep. I absolutely refuse to turn my bed into a sofa for lounging around in until I cannot keep my eyes open one second longer.

I spend about 100 nights each year in hotel rooms and find that once I turn the TV on, even if there is nothing interesting to watch, I will stay up until WAY past my natural bedtime hoping something better will come on after the current crappy shows end. It is stupid. I prefer to be sitting in a different room, because once I realize I am ready for bed, I can just get up, leave the room with the TV in it, and fall asleep with no distractions. I get plenty of good sleep at home - something I cannot do in hotels. When people try to convince me I am wrong about having a TV in my bedroom, they all admit to doing what I describe above several times each week - at which point I know I am probably right.

Back