• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Sub shopping

mcad64

We finally got the basement ceiling done. Black acoustic tile and my wife actually likes it. However, she looked at the front soundstage and said "That sub has to go!!!"" No problem dear I said. So sub shopping I go!! A few things first. I think the obvious thing about the sub is that it doesn't match our black/dungeon motif for the basement. The other unsaid thing is the size. Now for all of us, we look at that sub and say "That's not a large sub....you wanna see large!!" My point being, while I would love a PB12-Plus I do not thing the spousal unit would be at all pleased. The choices are the same as the one in the picture (Axiom EP350) only in a different colour, something in the PSB or Paradigm line (bricks and mortar near me) or something else from the internet. Power Sound audio doesn't ship to Canada, whereas SVS has a Canadian distributor in Toronto(about 1.5 hrs from me). The SVS PB12-Plus would just barely fit under the screen in the same position as the current sub and it is massive compared to my current one. I am leaning heavily toward the PB-2000. Try it alone or paired with my current sub. Or down the road by another Pb2000 and move existing up to a two channel room I have upstairs. My room is about 5000 cubic feet. Truth be told my current sub seems to do the job for me, however it may just be a case of "not knowing what you are missing?".
Thoughts? Suggestions??
Mike

PS: Woodstove is going to be replaced with something more modern looking and not such a space hog. I hate that thing!! But I digress!!!

DSC_0089.JPG

Zing said:
Why not have the sub enclosure refinished?

Wife will not tolerate looking at the drivers so what do I do with the grill cover? Plus, I am trying to get a new subwoofer here Zing so quit coming up with these ridiculously practical suggestions!!

mcad64 said:
Plus, I am trying to get a new subwoofer here Zing so quit coming up with these ridiculously practical suggestions!!

LOL

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking. My bad. Forgive me?
:text-imsorry:

Uh, when Spousal Unit said "That sub has to go!!!" are you sure she meant "replacement"? :?

This a basement, right?

According to every man alive that is YOUR space and you get to put whatever sub you want in there. WAF only applies in living and bedrooms.

Towen7 said:
This a basement, right?

According to every man alive that is YOUR space and you get to put whatever sub you want in there. WAF only applies in living and bedrooms.
Did you leave out "kitchen" due to the fear of possible political ramification? :eusa-whistle:

Derived Fact: Tom's wife doesn't read this forum. :laughing-rolling:

Botch said:
Derived Fact: Tom's wife doesn't read this forum. :laughing-rolling:

Stated fact: Tom doesn't have a basement either. :angelic-green:

Zing said:
mcad64 said:
Plus, I am trying to get a new subwoofer here Zing so quit coming up with these ridiculously practical suggestions!!

LOL

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking. My bad. Forgive me?
:text-imsorry:

^ I find this funny! I tell Zing all the time, do what you wish, period! We both work hard for an enjoyable life, let us make the best of it!!! :banana-rock:

mcad64, show this to your "boss" and see what she says.

Attachments

• mcad64 HT 2.jpg
    mcad64 HT 2.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 1,016
Do you have somewhere to incorporate an IB sub?
One of the walls adjoining another room maybe?

Budget?

Botch said:
Uh, when Spousal Unit said "That sub has to go!!!" are you sure she meant "replacement"? :?

She just meant the colour of the sub....I made sure of that!! :scared-eek:

DSC_0090.JPG

DSC_0091.JPG

DSC_0092.JPG

DSC_0093.JPG

DSC_0094.JPG

DSC_0096.JPG

This is a 360 view of my basement/man cave. My wife doesnt really want to stare at a monstrous sub under the screen and the PB12-Plus would just barely fit under it. I was thinking about putting it between the love seat and fireplace? Not sure what that would do for bass sound? Also worried about heat from fireplace!! Would like to replace existing fireplace with something with a smaller form factor that would allow me to get it back in the corner further. This is what I am looking at!!
GF_F373_DV_int01_pop.jpg

As evidenced by my attempt at trimming around the windows , it is OBVIOUS I have zero carpentry skills, so an IB sub is clearly out of the question.
I am also sure that if I bought the pb12 plus, I would be so excited I would want to get it downstairs...by myself!! I think I remember reading that that hulk of a physical specimen who goes by the first name Jeff managed to get, I believe , an Ultra down to his man cave alone!! I could just see me having to dial 911 and explain that I was pinned to my landing wall by a subwoofer and to send help please as I was losing consciousness!!
In all seriousness, I am torn between one pb12 plus and two pb2000. Take a look and let me know as far as locations for one or two subs please
Thanks
Mike

Sorry, we can't look at pictures and tell you the best location for your sub. Your best bet is to do the sub crawl - set your current sub in the main listening position, play the test tone used to set the trim level of the subwoofer, then spend some quality time on the floor in all potential sub locations. Make note of the two or three that sound the best then rotate your sub through those while you sit at the main listening position and demo some material.

As far as one or two, it is much more work to correctly configure two subwoofers to work together but the results can be much smoother response across multiple listening positions. If space allows, you can also locate them close to each other so that they couple, thus acting like one larger subwoofer. This gives you more headroom, is easier to setup, but doesn't offer the smoothing. In other words, you have options, which is nice.

Personally, I went from multiple subs to a single (if and when it finally arrives) because I never felt like I could get the three I had dialed in and working together properly. Heeman, on the other hand, had great success with adding a second sub to smooth frequency response.

CMonster said:
Sorry, we can't look at pictures and tell you the best location for your sub. Your best bet is to do the sub crawl - set your current sub in the main listening position, play the test tone used to set the trim level of the subwoofer, then spend some quality time on the floor in all potential sub locations. Make note of the two or three that sound the best then rotate your sub through those while you sit at the main listening position and demo some material.

As far as one or two, it is much more work to correctly configure two subwoofers to work together but the results can be much smoother response across multiple listening positions. If space allows, you can also locate them close to each other so that they couple, thus acting like one larger subwoofer. This gives you more headroom, is easier to setup, but doesn't offer the smoothing. In other words, you have options, which is nice.

Personally, I went from multiple subs to a single (if and when it finally arrives) because I never felt like I could get the three I had dialed in and working together properly. Heeman, on the other hand, had great success with adding a second sub to smooth frequency response.

Cmonster,
I am curious, why not go from three to two, rather than back to a single? Or did you try duals? One of the sub placement suggestions is 1/4 and 3/4 on the front wall. Oddly for me that is exactly where my left and right mains are!! I have a rather bizarrely shaped room, so I will probably just go with a single.
Thanks,
Mike

I started with one, then went to two. Had that for a while before getting the third. Trust me, I tried multiple configurations with the two and three and just never could quite get what I was looking for.

Back