• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Subwoofer preamp output broken?

AndySTL

My current basement setup has been unchanged for nearly 2 years. I have a Yamaha RX-A800 receiver that has served me well in the setup. It has been connected to my HSU sub for 2+ years down there. Everything has worked fine until a couple of weeks ago when I noticed the sub was no longer working. Here is everything I have done to troubleshoot:

1. Check speaker configuration in Yamaha manual setup menu. Sub is set to "Use." Test tone produces sound on all speakers except the subwoofer.
2. Check that HSU auto on feature is not the issue. Turned sub to always on. Test tone produces no sound for subwoofer
3. Check that HSU amplifier is not broken. I hooked up another source into the HSU input. Sound produced as expected. Sub amplifier and/or driver is not broken
4. Changed subwoofer cables. Test tone produces no sound for subwoofer
5. Check subwoofer volume knob. Volume knob set to 50%
6. Check subwoofer level trim in manual setup manual. Adjusted to + 6.0 decibels. Test tone produces no sound for subwoofer
7. Completed a master reset on the Yamaha receiver to restore default settings. Re-configured speaker settings. Test tone produces sound on all speakers except the subwoofer.

Is there anything else I should try? Does it sound like my preamp output could have suddenly gone dead?

I have no valuable input and it looks like you have done a pretty thorough troubleshoot.

Im definitely in for results.

The only thing I notice that you haven't done is disconnect the cable from the sub and connect it to something else that's known to work (another powered speaker, etc.). If this other item doesn't produce a sound, it's the preout on your Yammy.

The only thing I notice that you haven't done is disconnect the cable from the sub and connect it to something else that's known to work (another powered speaker, etc.). If this other item doesn't produce a sound, it's the preout on your Yammy.

You're right, I haven't tried that. I will give it a shot a little later.

Have you ever heard of a preout breaking? Just seems so weird.

Don't be sad................

New Gear is Happy and Fun!!!

Yea Baby!!!!!!

There is truth in your words...

Anyone have suggestions for a replacement? Doesn't have to be a receiver as I have 2 power amps. Anyone heard good/bad/other on the Outlaw 976?

Back