• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

subwoofers by Magico

topper

image_preview

The 550 lb, 8,000 Watt Magico QSub-18

http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/magico-qsub-18-and-qsub-15-subwoofer-preview

A monster Sub with a monster price tag . . . .

Wow, for that price you can add on a new HT room and build an IB sub!

Only $36k for the 18" and $22k for the 15", what a deal. Wonder how they would do against Wilson Audio's Thor's Hammer which is about the same price as the 15".

Oh man you had to post that on the forum. Well, now I know what T7, Deacon, Zing, and I will be doing next June/July...lugging one of these into the Batcave. CMonster and Pauly will have to take care of the 2nd one.

John

yromj said:
Oh man you had to post that on the forum. Well, now I know what T7, Deacon, Zing, and I will be doing next June/July...lugging one of these into the Batcave. CMonster and Pauly will have to take care of the 2nd one.

John
Dibs on the used Triaxes!

They should match up well with the used C2s that Heeman will be unloading by then as well. :)

Jeff

Yeah, that's why you aren't involved in moving IN the new subs because I knew you would be moving OUT the existing ones.

John

Ya'll be careful with Jeff. Help him out when it comes to lifting.

This subwoofer had major room acoustic problems at the 2015 AXPONA Show, this was in a much larger room than a typical hotel room. They eventually took it out of service and when I entered the room, I saw it shoved it off to the side.

I know they tried to do damage control, my changing things around for Saturday and Sunday However despite what Jonathan Valin said, I still thought the Magico room sounded very off. However I like Magico speakers (YG Acoustics more) so I don't blame the speakers.

From the AVS Forum, post subwoofer being taken out.

The 12th floor had the Q7 which listed at $229.000. The chosen electronics were by Aesthetix. The whole room setup was valued at close to a cool million. Walking into the room I was weak kneed. The sight of Q7 was simply awe inspiring. I really believed that this room would be the best of any audio show that I have ever been to. I know Magico and I know that these speakers may possibly be the finest on the planet. Then I heard someone murmur about how bad they were. Really? The music began playing and something was immediately awry. The recording sounded washed out and bright. I stayed around for a while. The next selection was worse. The demonstrator selected a record that sounded defective. Pops and crackles dominated the music. Then came the Stairway to Heaven.(heard a 100 times in other rooms) I like Led Zepplin but this was not sounding right. Flat, hollow, bright. Something was way off. I notified the DJ that something did not sound right. Instead of discussion I was met with mild hostility. I asked if they would be willing to play one of my FLAC files or a disc. I promised I had material that would do the speaker justice. The DJ refused to play requests and commented "We will be focusing on vinyl only." I know Stereophile wrote a glowing review on these speakers in this room. I do not know what happened but IMO this was the worst Magico demo I have ever encountered. All the wonderful traits of the other Magicos I have heard were nonexistent in this room. If I had not experienced Magico in other settings I would have been an instant M hater. I do not blame the Aesthetix electronics. I have heard Focal Utopias and others driven very pleasantly by the same electronics. It was something else in addition to conceited reps IMO.

That is very interesting TT. In your opinion what do you think was the biggest problem? Were things out of phase with each other, was it a time delay problem, was the sub not functioning properly?

Heh, a sub that loud/powerful in the same 12th-floor room as a turntable is probably a start... :laughing:

To tell truth I don't really remember, you go to so many rooms in 3 days they kind of blur together. I just remember being bummed out because it was such a mega system and was hoping for much better.

The Quad room, sucked also and I am a big fan of planer speakers. They sounded dull and the imaging just was not happening at all. Several of the rooms had some kind black curtain thing going around the whole or part of the room. So who knows what kind of acoustic treatments they had, if any. As you could not see them, on the other that could be a lot heavy room treatment to ship to a show.

At these shows unless you just get lucky with room acoustics, or have someone who really knows how to set up a system. Using room treatment (some just prop a mattress up against a wall) and maybe some EQ, not to mention the time time factor, sometimes they only have a few hours before the show opens. This does not inspire a high rate of success. They couldn't even get the stereo Magico speakers in that room to work right.

I am sure that subwoofer would be awesome set up in a proper room, with some time and skill to work with it. This is the luck of the draw with hotel demo rooms, even decent sized one's, that can be L shaped, or have funky alcoves, HVAC's that rattle, etc...

A trip to a brick and mortar dealer, should in theory be better. At least they don't have the time factor to work against, but I have still heard boomy bass in not properly treated listening rooms.

Back