• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Taking the Heresys out for a spin

PaulyT

Behind the Curtain
Staff member
Administrator
Superstar
DSCF1219-X2.jpg

Cat and bourbon bottle provided for scale. ;)

It is very much a cat attractor, and I'm watching them closely. And when I'm not in the room I put them next to each other with the grills in, so they're completely un-exposed.

Scale is why there’s a bottle of whiskey before 2:00 in the afternoon.
Hey, the bottle is, as yet, unopened. ;) You can see the plastic wrap on top if you look close enough. :nope:

Currently in here listening to Hilary Hahn playing Barber's violin concerto. Stunning.

Is that even wood grain I see in that last photo, or do the Klipschs just have a raw plywood edge? :rtfm:

But I believe (from what I've read from google searches) it's Birch plywood... so it's not complete crap. :laughing:

There's some internal cross-bracing but not a whole lot. The front baffle that the drivers are mounted to is the same stuff, from what I can tell.

DSCF1216-XL.jpg

FYI from what I can tell from the serial numbers (the original stickers on the back are mostly intact), these are Heresy I from 1981.

DSCF1218-XL.jpg

Yes the original Heresys and all of the Heritage line always were and always will be real wood cabinets.
I dont believe they ever did a veveer.

But I believe (from what I've read from google searches) it's Birch plywood... so it's not complete crap. :laughing:

There's some internal cross-bracing but not a whole lot. The front baffle that the drivers are mounted to is the same stuff, from what I can tell.

DSCF1216-XL.jpg

And yes the HBR should indicate a birch box.

These speakers are really fantastic for classical music IMHO, because you don't really need a subwoofer for the super low end like you would with rock etc.

Yes the original Heresys and all of the Heritage line always were and always will be real wood cabinets.
I dont believe they ever did a veveer.
As a solid wood furniture snob, I would argue that plywood (even birch) is nothing BUT veneer! :biggrin:
They could've, at least, extended a speaker grill another 1.5" to cover it up...

They could've, at least, extended a speaker grill another 1.5" to cover it up...

Just FYI the grilles on these fit inside the cabinet - meaning they're recessed in the front such that the grill's surface is even with the outside edges of the cabinet. (You can sorta see this in the grille-off pic I posted above.) It's not a design where they could extend them to the outside edges.

Old Klipsch is best Klipsch.
I would love to do a head-to-head comparison between these and the Heresy III - but I don't have $2k to drop on the latter to do this experiment.

that would lead to edge diffraction issues. most people will not be able to detect this by ear alone.
They use an EV ST35 driver brother to my ST350B driver.

Back