• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Thanksgiving - the last haul

jomari

War Never Changes
Famous
So, i posted this a while back,

http://theaudioannex.com/forum/threads/4k-60fps-vs-30fps-is-it-that-important.10909/

and tried to merge or rename the thread to avoid any excess postings.

We were supposed to get this set from costco, which i just tried to relink to, its gone!

It was a 70UH6350, specifically for Costco, one of the true full 4k panels out there. others are not full RGB 4k subpixel structures out there apparently and well, have been discussed over at avs.

Anyways, bummed that costco didnt have my model, we went home and i grumbled a bit, and then went to bed to go to help her parents out at the embassy. You see, they have to have some papers notarized at their consulate, and had a 'micro station' in a closer town. trick is, they only serve 80 people. we were number 14 after 10 knot winds, and well, a bladder intensity check from 730 in the morning outside their building up to 10am.

I digress. afterwards, wifey agreed to go to Bestbuy.

we went and tried to look for a similar set, the UH8500, but didnt find it. went to magnolia side and saw the similar one, and with luck saw it on sale for 1k less.

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-65UH9500-4k-uhd-tv

of course, its never easy. the only one they had in stock was about a half hour drive away. so we went.

this was a week before thanksgiving. got the set, and set it up immediately. wife tried her best to help and of course it worked out.

Why so expensive? why not other sets out there for the same amount of money?

simple. like matt, i have certain feverish wants when it comes to my hobby. mine is the ever fading 3D trend.

This tv is one out of THREE sets that i can use for both 3D (this is passive) and play games on (other two had some bad lag records)

I have a 3D projector. sure, that would work. but since i've encountered my keystone bitchin problems, its been less than a great experience. i have it gathering dust in the closet. hey, at least it doesnt give me rainbow or screen door effect. i have 8 pairs of active 3d glasses doing the same thing.

I digress again.

of course, after setting it up, i see my beloved Vertical banding, a bit of light bleeding on the corners, and blacks arent as black as i want it to be. at 2 grand i wanted it to be perfect. but at 2 grand my wife was not happy about dragging it back to best buy. i can make it work. i calibrated it, and worked with it. learned a bit about light bleeding tricks out there, and it sort of helped. more or less placebo effect and just stfu instead.

I loved the picture. i love my blu-ray collection. sure i have some, albeit a bit of crosstalk (man, Civil war had a bunch, but others due to the subtitles).... i love it.

Until black friday.

Man, that 3 hour wait outside in freezing temperatures, while parents was waiting in the handicap spot in our van?

Priceless for my tv.

We went to Black friday sales as usual (its one of the few holiday shopping days i HAVE to, since its her and her families tradition), and went to kohls then straight home (thank god no other stores)...

We decided to go to Best buy again, and i was itching for a 4k UHD player, yes, the samsung. i was bummed since i saw the website didnt have any stock anywhere.

Sure, a week ago at that costco run i bought the sony upscaling 4k player, but i wasnt happy with it, especially since i have an older sony for my usb movies.

Man, it was a madhouse, like a DMV or a social security office with police officers inside and out. Mad hot too, so i bet someones gonna have a short fuse.

Luck had it, magnolia had a dozen or so stacked up, at 200 bucks. grabbed one and waited in line for almost an hour.

http://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...yers/4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-ubd-k8500-za/

So, why not the Xbox one s?

Two reasons,

1. I wanted a dedicated blu-ray player, and this could alleviate any challenges a console would. i had a ps3 and ps4 and a blu-ray player, thus my logic to do so again. plus the only games i wanted was Recode i think on xbox.
2. Dual HDMI. - remember that challenge question i had recently? lets get to that later.

Also bought Star trek 4k version, full frickin price. Why? either this or the 18 dollar oblivion. Wife wanted me to get what i want.

She went to tuesday morning afterwards. 30 minutes worth it.

So, the dual HDMI option...

my reciever can do 4k apparently, but apparently not as 'full 4k' as i wanted it to be. it cant do HDR and/or 60fps. Thus my choice in getting the samsung unit. my TV took the first HDMI slot, while the second went to the AVR. setting it at PCM and boom, problem solved. a bit of audio lag happens when i turn on the AVR AFTER the movie starts but thats just me learning afterwards.

So, my observations. experiences?

First off,

I am glad i did my homework, and that the Samsung fit my bill. it worked well enough to circumvent buying yet another AVR for this hobby of ours. Heck i have a HDMI AVR laying in the closet, stacked on another AVR.

I am getting full 4k, and want more. I want to upgrade to Netflix UHD, but man, my LG is doing such a great job upscaling and with the Web OS Netflix built in, makes my blu-ray player go shame... shame.... shame...

I might do so this week, just to give it a taste.

I Love 4k.

sure im not getting the full monty, based on my seating distance

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship

i should be getting a 75. sure, if i want another divorce thank you very much.

Plus still have that motorized 84 inch screen hanging on the wall, which the wife will refer to on certain days of the month as a waste of money.

I've downloaded some sample videos, and man, its amazing (try to find HDR videos, not just 4K videos, so you're tv will pop up a sign saying UHD - Uumagawd Huge Di...)

I already have

Star trek Beyond
Star trek into darkness
Batman vs superman
Revenant
Crouching tiger
Pacific rim.

and love it. will i double dip on other movies? sure i will, for the right price. Pacific rim and Star trek into darkness i paid full gorram price. at this point, i think i can afford a bit of it.

One note tho, as much as the 3d effects are awesome, i LOVE the fact that it can convert 2D movies to 3D and of course 3D to 2D. the latter is my favorite. I just bought Transformers - age of extinction (such an appropriate title)... and man, i love IMAX full 1:78 on it. same with Star trek into darkness.

I tried last night to watch crouching tiger, a relatively very old film, remasted for 4k and i believe redone work for the blu-ray version too.

The fight in the bamboo field, sort of revealed the significant difference from 4k and blu-ray. is it SD vs HD? not as much, but closer to the screen it can show you WHY you need to get one.

I have the revenant and i havent even opened it. i was planning to today, since wifey doesnt want to watch that movie with me.

I am legend comes out tomorrow? double dip? hmm. dont know...

Anyways, hoping you liked my bantering long ass experience.

Wow, quite the saga. Sounds like you ended up with a great set, though.

You suck!

... and I hope you enjoy it.

thanks Cmonster, i loved the shallows, but i rented it instead. I am reconsidering getting deadpool tho too.

Thank you everyone!

As ive mentioned, this is my last haul for a while...

jomari.....................enjoy the new toy!

And may the Suckage B With U!

Last edited:
Hey Joms if your not going to use any of those 4K ultraviolet copies. You can pm me those codes and redemption link (especially Crouching Tiger). Just saying if your not gonna use the codes.

By the way you suck.

Back