• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The 20 best-selling albums in America

I got the two Zeppelins, AC/DC, Metallica, Boston, and G'n'R.
Very surprised to see Billy Joel in the list and The Eagles Best Of numbers are crazy. :scared-eek:

I was about to post that I can happily report that I have no Garth Brooks albums in my collection, when I checked to be sure and ... dang I have one (that I inherited from my Mom after she died.) But I don't have the two on the list.

I have all of the others - including "The Bodyguard."

Jeff

What a difference a list makes. On another list (of 100 albums) I own almost 90% of them. On this short list of 20 albums, I own just 75% of them. I'm missing both Brooks' albums, both Beatles' albums and Led Zep's Physical Graffiti.

The fact The Wall made the list and Dark Side of the Moon did not is just pathetic.

Zing said:
What a difference a list makes. On another list (of 100 albums) I own almost 90% of them. On this short list of 20 albums, I own just 75% of them. I'm missing both Brooks' albums, both Beatles' albums and Led Zep's Physical Graffiti.
This list is sales numbers (and US only), the other list (if its the one I'm thinking of) was chosen by music critics. So, congratulate yourself that you have a critic's taste, not that of the Unwashed Masses ("Sire, the peasants are revolting!" "I'll say...") :laughing:

Haywood said:
The fact The Wall made the list and Dark Side of the Moon did not is just pathetic.
This is the list of Best-selling, not necessarily "Best" albums. And it's US sales only. DSOTM is believed to be the best selling album of all time but a lot of the sales were made before 1990 when RIAA started keeping track of record sales. That's why i think it's missing from the list.

lulimet said:
1990 when RIAA started keeping track of record sales.

I did not know that; who kept track before that (I know sales numbers were tracked earlier...)

1990 may have been the year they added a new award level (i.e., Platinum) but I'm pretty sure the RIAA has been doing this since the 50's or 60's.

*EDIT*
I wasn't too far off. It seems they started tracking sales in 1958. They added the "Diamond" award in 1999 but I didn't read anything specific to 1990.

RIAA History

Hootie and the Blowfish? Really? Wow... not sure I know or would even recognize a single one of their songs.

PaulyT said:
Hootie and the Blowfish? Really? Wow... not sure I know or would even recognize a single one of their songs.
DUDE! You gotta shed your disdain for Pop music once in a while. It's not all hideous and horrible.

:laughing: More like that, with a few exceptions, I didn't even listen to anything other than classical until somewhere in the 2000's... My knowledge of anything (pop or otherwise) from before then is pretty much back-fill at this point. Haven't gotten to everything!

My last band did a couple Hootie songs, but right now, for the life of me, I can't remember what they are.

Flint said:
wait... the White Album outsold all of the other Beatles albums???
It was in heavy rotation in our house growing up. Guess that is why it is still my favourite Beatles album. How can you not like a song titled "Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey" ?

I've got most of them, except the Led Zeplin or Garth Brooks live cd's. There is a an studio acoustic version of Jagged Little Pill which is really well done, and usually can be found for $5.

Zing said:
How 'bout I make you a "mix tape"?

That didn't sound gay, did it?

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Zing said:
"Only Wanna Be With You"?

"Let Her Cry"??
"Only wanna be with ewe" was one, but not the other. Our rhythm guitarist at the time was nicknamed "B-Side Brian", because he always insisted on playing album tracks that weren't hits, but were good songs. I enjoyed that a lot, but those tunes always, always cleared the dance floor. Damn Unwashed Masses! :angry-banghead:

Back