• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Cookbook Thread

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
Debated whether to put this here or in the Food section, Moderators adjust as you see fit.

The Man In The Brown Shorts™ brought me a box tonight that I needed both hands to lift:

9781936493609_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

OMG, what a tome! Every single recipe (over 900!), equipment test, and taste test, ever done on America's Test Kitchen, one of my favorite PBS programs and a main reason I bought an OTA DVR (mid-Saturday afternoon should be spent on skiing, riding, hiking, etc). A lot of the recipes on the show are given in the magazine Cook's Illustrated, of which I have a huge pile, but finding a specific recipe when the mood strikes is a pain; as a subscriber I got this volume for about $25, helluva deal!
This team takes not-so-esoteric recipes and tries variation after variation, to zero in on the Best Recipe. They've only let me down once (a sesame-coated salmon) and damned if I can improve on any of the recipes they publish. It'll be fun leafing through this one and trying recipes I've missed before. I do need to find a different way to prop it up in the kitchen; as I said this thing weighs a ton!

At last count (and this was years ago) I had 63 cookbooks; I'll probably post here about different favorites (as I did recently with Adam Perry Lang's Serious Barbeque). Post your favorites! :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Nice!!! I haven't delved into a cookbook in a while, I have many as well. Plus, I have several of my Mother's that will soon be part of my collection.

Dammit, this cookbook piques my interest. I do watch the show here & there. I am so into several favorites from The Food Network. But for $25 & that many recipes, it seems silly NOT to buy it! Amazon???

I just read your post again Botch. It was through Cook's Ilustrated that you received such an incredible price?

Botch said:

I decided to research this cookbook this morning. Nice, very nice! Found it on Amazon, put it in my wish list, viewed it again this afternoon, viewed it a third time this evening. Zing came into my computer room & offered to buy it for me, I had mentioned it over dinner. I wanted to buy it myself...so I did!

Thank you Botch, for the recommendation! I can't wait for it to get here! This Saturday, I just luv Amazon Prime! :happy-smileygiantred:

I think you'll enjoy it Babs. I was wrong on something though, I stated that the book included every equipment test and taste test they've done, don't know where I got that idea. They do include some equipment recommendations, but no taste tests; this makes sense as products change all the time, get better, get worse ("New and Improved" is the biggest lie of the 21st century), and get bought out.
I wanted to really go through it last night, but had an eye dr. appointment yesterday afternoon and my eyes were dilated, I could just listen to music all night. :shock:

I have two Best Recipes / America's Test Kitchen cookbooks and enjoy reading through them. Now I need to take the next step and actually start making some stuff. Really the only recipe of theirs I make on a regular basis is chili, and I do a hybrid of their regular recipe and bacon-and-black-bean variation.

my-last-supper-cover1.jpg

One of my favorites in my collection, not only the recipes but awesome stories from incredible chefs, simply the best, IMO. The pictures are truly unique to each chef's personality, craft & passion for cuisine. It's overall subject matter is beyond compare!

My favorites are...

Anthony Bourdain
Tyler Florence
Gabrielle Hamilton
Giorgio Locatelli

Zing bought this for me for Christmas in 2013, one of my favorite gifts from him. Thanks! ;)

No Betty Crocker? That was one the things my Mom gave me when I moved out the house on my own. She said you will get tired of fast foods and eating out. I still refer to it often.

I treasure a Paula Dean Cookbook that I haven't had a bad recipe from yet. Many many wild game recipe books from Missouri conservationist and other outdoor mags that I once used extensively.

Babs said:
Botch said:
I can't wait for it to get here!

My cookbook arrived today. Awesome! I hope to have some time shortly to briefly look through it. We have very special guests arriving for a couple days & I am preparing some appetizers for them so my anticipation may have to be put on hold until tomorrow.

Babs said:
Babs said:
Botch said:
I can't wait for it to get here!

My cookbook arrived today. Awesome! I hope to have some time shortly to briefly look through it. We have very special guests arriving for a couple days & I am preparing some appetizers for them so my anticipation may have to be put on hold until tomorrow.

The wife and I were Christmas shopping this afternoon and happened to find this at Costco. They also had a book of ATK's 100 essential dishes. I briefly considered buying both but Christy, being smarter than I am, pointed out that surely the 100 "essentials" we're in the book of all 900 recipes.

Interesting bump, Tom. I know I've purchased at least four c-books since I originally started this thread. :oops:

Back