• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Defenders (?)

D

Deleted member 133

Hmmm. Nobody's started a new thread but it has (apparently) been out on Netflix since August 18th.

I'm either going to watch the first episode in a few minutes (if I can talk Gen into watching it with me) or later tonight (if not.)

Jeff

I started watching it, but a few minutes in I realized I really should watch Jessica Jones first, which I'm doing now...

We LOVED it and binge watched the first six episodes. If I didn't have to get up and go to work on Monday, we would have finished it.

No spoilers please!

Gen agreed to watch it so we did the first episode tonight. We'll spread it out one episode at a time over a couple of weeks - or more.

Like Paul I realized I was missing some of the back story: I never did see Iron Fist - mostly because of the negative reviews. But I'll get through The Defenders first and then decide whether that character is worth more of an investment.

Jeff

For those who've seen this new show, can I forgo watch Iron Fist before watching the Defenders?

No spoilers please!

Gen agreed to watch it so we did the first episode tonight. We'll spread it out one episode at a time over a couple of weeks - or more.

Like Paul I realized I was missing some of the back story: I never did see Iron Fist - mostly because of the negative reviews. But I'll get through The Defenders first and then decide whether that character is worth more of an investment.

Jeff

The plot won't make sense without watching Iron Fist first, unfortunately.

Crap! I've heard nothing but negative things about Iron Fist. I've watched all the other superhero series.

Maybe there's a business opportunity for "Cliff Notes" for movie series?

Iron Fist was ... meh. Not horrible IMHO, but nowhere near as good as the other Marvel series on netflix (Luke Cage, Daredevil, and I'm enjoying Jessica Jones very much now).

I didn't think it was nearly as bad as it was made out to be, but it is definitely the weakest of the bunch.

I didn't think it was nearly as bad as it was made out to be, but it is definitely the weakest of the bunch.

I had the same thought... I'd probably give it a 6.5/10. And I'm through episode 7 so far of the Defenders and do think the series wouldn't make as much sense without watching everything else first. But especially, the Iron Fist.

Now, you could skip Iron Fist and be ok, but between it not being THAT bad and that it does clarify some of the backstory, I'd say watch IF first.

I have been watching Iron Fist. It just nearly as bad as they made it out to be, though the lead character lacks any real derpth or explanation for his stupidity

My son wanted to watch The Defenders so we binged on the entire thing yesterday.....if the Iron Fist character is written the same or worse than in The Defenders series, I have zero interest in going back and watching any of his series.

So I explained all of this to Gen, after we watched the first episode of The Defenders, and we decided to watch Iron Fist first, before going back to The Defenders. So far we're three episodes in, and while she's commented on the terrible acting, I think we'll hold our noses and finish it eventually.

What doesn't thrill you, makes you wander - or some saying like that. :)

I find the storytelling pretty decent in "Iron Fist", but the kid, given that he managed to earn the right to be the iron fist, acts like an out of control 12 year old who thinks he know everything and acts on impulse and emotions at ever turn. That doesn't match the teachings he says he had to learn and master to become the iron fist. I don't get it.

He's all over the place in The Defenders....one moment deadly serious, while stupid and goofy seconds later in the very same scene, so I see where you're coming from. I blame the writers. The guy can act, as evidenced by his role in Game of Thrones.

I think they intended for the character to be an impudent child-like rich boy who cannot control himself - the problem is, I cannot fathom how the extremely serious Chinese priests who took him in and taught him and allowed him to become the Iron Fist after centuries of being perfect at their jobs would allow this bratty, emotional, confused punk to ever get that power.

I think they intended for the character to be an impudent child-like rich boy who cannot control himself
I'm beginning to agree with you, that he's intentionally annoying. Although it's hard to fathom them basing an entire first season around that... I'm hoping that he "grows up" a bit in Defenders - which so far I'm enjoying very much (on about ep. 5).

Back