• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Early Adopter Movie Dilemma

Haywood

Famous
UHD movies currently cost about double the price of HD movies, whether it be on disc or otherwise. This honestly give me pause and I am so far sticking mostly with HD purchases. My rationale is that it will be cheaper to buy the HD copy now and repurchase later than to buy the UHD copy now. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this position. What are the rest of you guys doing? Are you biting the bullet or holding out?

I'm buying SO much less than I used to (maybe 10% as much - I made weekly Tuesday visits to BB for a long time) that on the now rare occasion I actually pull the trigger I just get UHD BD when I do. I'm still actually saving more by buying so much less often anyway.

Last edited:
I've done a lot of research and even the experts say the only benefit of UHD is implementing HDR. Otherwise the human eye can't distinguish between 1080p and 4K when sitting further back than six feet (which almost everyone does). So for now I just buy all my digital codes in HDX and not worry about 4K. My eyes can't tell the difference but do wish they would implement HDR on HDX copies.

I've done a lot of research and even the experts say the only benefit of UHD is implementing HDR. Otherwise the human eye can't distinguish between 1080p and 4K when sitting further back than six feet (which almost everyone does). So for now I just buy all my digital codes in HDX and not worry about 4K. My eyes can't tell the difference but do wish they would implement HDR on HDX copies.

This simply isn't well informed, Matt.

In the same way a black and white laser printer can simulate gray-scale better if it had a higher resolution, televisions with higher resolution will perceptibly have less banding and less obvious banding with non-HDR content. When one gray pixel can be replaced by for gray and black pixels, it can appear slightly darker and reduce the abrupt transition from gray to black.

That said, HDR offers a better solution than pixel interpolation, but more pixels can make difference without HDR.

My question is whether it is actually worth spending double the money right now. I didn't go all-in on Blu-Ray until the prices dropped. I stuck with buying mostly used DVDs and then upgraded later. The $25-30 Blu-Rays I didn't buy during that first year or two were then available in the bargain bin for $7. I was going to spring for UHD on Fantastic Beasts, but I ended up grabbing an HDX copy because I got it for $6.99.

I just stopped buy discs altogether (it's been years now) HDX is good enough and when I can buy new movies for 6.99 no tax and share instantly with my whole family it's a no brainer.

Flint your insane. I've seen HDR sources and non HDR sources on 4K displays and HDR sources are phenomenal. Don't care how it gets there I just know what looks good to these eyes.

I am not saying HDR isn't great, in fact I am the guy who mentioned it on this forum and got mocked.

My point is that 4K will improve standard HD video as well.

Back