• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The New Home Theater

Haywood

Famous
As some of you may remember, I put the home theater in the new house in a formal living room. This was somewhat less than ideal, but it was the only space available if or until I get the basement done. After moving in, getting settled and compiling the list of all the stuff I want or need to do to the house, I realized that a dedicated theater in the basement could be many years off. Knowing this, I decided to go all out.

I wanted everything to look as clean and classy as possible, so all of the wires are run wall plates that are hidden behind bookcases and the BDI media cabinet under the TV. The TV has power, HDMI, optical and Ethernet on a plate behind the display, which should cover all of the needs. The system is currently running in 5.1, with the surrounds in the back corners of the room, on top of book cases.

The rear of the room is open to the entryway, with the exception of a pair of pillars and a half-height wall connecting each to the sidewall (the aforementioned bookcases are on the short walls, so the ports can breath). I removed the glass doors from the short bookcases.

The back of the entry (from the point of view of the living room) has a window centered on the entrance to the living room with a glass-doored cabinet on either side. I'm stuck with these doors, as the bookcases contain a lot of fragile curios, but they are directly behind the pillars and frame a window that will soon have wood blinds. The room acoustics are actually pretty good and will only improve with an area run and drapes.

Phase two will add a pair of Paradigm Atoms on top of those bookcases in the entry, firing slightly downward toward the listening position. The distance from the seating to the side surrounds is about six feet. The distance to the proposed rear surrounds is closer to 12 feet. I also have a nice pair of Paradigm in-wall speakers that I was going to use in the family room. Those will now be installed in the living room ceiling for Atmos.

The only real downside is that the three-seat reclining sofa is the only seating that will fit. I can slide it over a bit and pull in a comfy Ikea rocking chair from the family room on an as-needed basis, but that is about it. The room actually looks pretty great. Pictures will follow, showing the current setup. I will also post the final pictures after the ceiling and rear surrounds are in place.

i cant read.

i wish i could but i cant keep my eyes open.

but i also dont see pics. would love to see some if you would share it with us.

congratulations by the way on your new place!

I will try to get pictures out by the end of the weekend. I do not want to take them until the decorating is done, the rug is down and the boxes are gone. The drapes and blinds won't be in yet and the system is still 5.1, but it will be enough to give a sense of the space and decor. I will probably post pictures of the entire first floor within a week to ten days, as it will be mostly done by then.

I will try to get pictures out by the end of the weekend. I do not want to take them until the decorating is done, the rug is down and the boxes are gone. The drapes and blinds won't be in yet and the system is still 5.1, but it will be enough to give a sense of the space and decor. I will probably post pictures of the entire first floor within a week to ten days, as it will be mostly done by then.

yowza!

excited dude!

The decorating is not done and we also plan to put drapes in the living room and blinds in the hallway, but it is mostly done and I am happy enough to post pictures.
M4wabIr.jpg

You can see the right surround speaker in the back on top of the short bookcase in front of the half-wall.
qSc3IGX.jpg

The lamp in the entryway will be about eight inches higher after I make adjustments. I am thinking about putting rear surrounds (Paradigm Atoms) on top of the big bookcases on the far back wall. I am also thinking about putting Atmos speakers in the living room ceiling.
1PkK5dF.jpg

The dining room
rB5kRKh.jpg

The family room
doXfeGZ.jpg

g0uZcBs.jpg

Place is shaping up nicely! Very cool.

Thanks for all of the nice compliments. I now have two questions:

What do you think about my rear surround idea?
Do you have any acoustic suggestions, other than putting up drapes (plan to do) and removing the glass from the bookcases on the far back wall (cannot do)?

Last edited:
I would think some taseful/artsy covered panels on the front wall behind the mains would go a long way, l/r of the TV - you've got a lot of wall space there.

I like the space a lot. Very clean and modern looking.

To your question: I wouldn’t put surrounds on the top of the bookshelves. Personally I’d rather keep those shelves uncluttered and sacrifice the very tiny and practically irrelevant amount of background audio.

To your question: I wouldn’t put surrounds on the top of the bookshelves. Personally I’d rather keep those shelves uncluttered and sacrifice the very tiny and practically irrelevant amount of background audio.

That's why I've been torn. I like the way it looks and don't wantto ruin it.

I would think some taseful/artsy covered panels on the front wall behind the mains would go a long way, l/r of the TV - you've got a lot of wall space there.

That is exactly what I was thinking. I can't do anything about the reflective surface of the TV, but those panels should help, especially when combined with some drapes. The short bookcases and pillars are in front of the glass doors and should offset a lot of the reflection issue and I plan to add wood blinds to the window between them. I want the best possible sound without damaging the decor.

Other than converting to a steampunk vibe, I can't think of anything useful to add.

Jeff

That is exactly what I was thinking. I can't do anything about the reflective surface of the TV, but those panels should help, especially when combined with some drapes. The short bookcases and pillars are in front of the glass doors and should offset a lot of the reflection issue and I plan to add wood blinds to the window between them. I want the best possible sound without damaging the decor.
Yup. And even if they're not directly behind the mains (or in the reflective point from the mains off the wall to the listening position), they'll still help to reduce some echo in the room if nothing else.

Yup. And even if they're not directly behind the mains (or in the reflective point from the mains off the wall to the listening position), they'll still help to reduce some echo in the room if nothing else.

The room acoustics are pretty good now. This is the best sounding room I've had since the house in Florida and I think some tweaks could make it even better. It is not a dedicated room in the sense that I have complete control over the acoustics, but it is used almost exclusively for the home theater system and I've tried to tune it as much as possible.

Back