• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Thing (40th Anniversary Limited Theatrical Release)

One of my all time favorite sci-fi/critter/old time special effects movies is back in theaters for two nights only 06/19 and 06/22. Got tickets already not missing this.

Fathom Events Promotion Site w/Tickets By Zip Code

Fathom does some great events, I got to see Dr. Who The Five Doctors on the big screen a couple years before the pandemic because of them as well as the original King Kong and Godzilla. Great stuff.

The Thing is in my opinion one of the best horror films of all time and if you haven’t seen it the Prequil is t that bad either.

And the original. All good stuff.
Yes! When I was a kid our local library had movies on Halloween so my pops would take me after trick or treating. We saw The Thing from Another World, War of the Worlds and pretty much all of the universal monsters films there.

They just don’t do stuff like that anymore.

They just don’t do stuff like that anymore.
I think in some ways (among others) movies like Jurassic Park kind of ruined the magic of sci-fi and monster movies for me. Don't get me wrong it looks amazing. But with CGI becoming virtually indistinguishable from reality there is nothing left to the imagination. No mystery or fear of the unknown. And IMO far less creativity put into this genre of film making. So long as it looks cool it seems to get produced. There are exceptions of course but in general I was far more intrigued and entertained by early sci-fi.

Bump: Loved seeing this in the theater on Sunday. Great crowd of obviously like minded enthusiast demographic of a certain age... my girlfriend and I were laughing with the crowd on the way out everyone looked exactly the same even dressed similar it was pretty hilarious. You don't realize you dress a certain way until you are in a crowd of identical age and style people it was really funny. And the movie was amazing on the big screen with big sound system. Never appreciated some of the big cinematography, amazing Ennio Morricone soundtrack that provided all the sense of dread. Love these retro releases will look for more as they keep coming out.

Bump: Loved seeing this in the theater on Sunday. Great crowd of obviously like minded enthusiast demographic of a certain age... my girlfriend and I were laughing with the crowd on the way out everyone looked exactly the same even dressed similar it was pretty hilarious. You don't realize you dress a certain way until you are in a crowd of identical age and style people it was really funny. And the movie was amazing on the big screen with big sound system. Never appreciated some of the big cinematography, amazing Ennio Morricone soundtrack that provided all the sense of dread. Love these retro releases will look for more as they keep coming out.
Sounds like you had a great time.

Edit: So as much as I enjoyed it this sucks. Can't believe I didn't pick up on this right away I was so mesmerized I didn't even catch this...

Wrong aspect ratio...

It's so obvious when I look at even a quick YouTube clip of the remastered blu-ray with correct 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

Why would they bother to chop it for this re-release? Seems lazy. Still had a great time but annoyed at half assed remastering effort for this theatrical re-release.

Back