• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

jomari

War Never Changes
Famous
So, andy got me into this one and since we did a pit stop at Target, i thought id check it out. Honestly tho, i was going to wait it out since i was still trying to finish The Witcher 2 on the 360. I liked it, but as ive shared with him, i felt a bit combobulated with its mix of magic and might.

But then again so was skyrim right? at least i can play archer there.

Anyways, i digress, for those who are interested, Target has it for full price, FULL PRICE!

but with Bonus Prima Official Game Guide.

Gamestop had them for preorder with a keychain.

Anyways, thought id share this for those interested.

for those interested in the witcher storyline, here are two primers...
Witcher 1
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiqMr0OvQog[/youtube]
Witcher 2...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSftIRQzYCM[/youtube]

Yeah I've got this - love the Witcher series, great story line, and on PC the graphics are amazing, right up there with AC. I've played both 1 and 2. But I haven't started playing 3 yet...

Yeah, I have played maybe an hour or so on PS4. I am just trying to get the hang of it but kinda cool so far. And yeah, I paid full price at Best Buy.

mine had the loading screen error.

problem was I was playing it while system was downloading update file, quite current game then updated... restarted game and stuck on loading screen, after four times watching the storyline and CGI intro, it kinda got frustrating.

looked online, deleted game file, went offline, reloaded, then played a bit thru tutorial. afterwards will get the patch to get it working properly.

coincidentally almost done with lords of the fallen, last boss fight is a b*tch.

this one is gorgeous tho, the comic intro (where it introduces the zombie part, is almost 3d likish)...

jomari said:
mine had the loading screen error.

problem was I was playing it while system was downloading update file, quite current game then updated... restarted game and stuck on loading screen, after four times watching the storyline and CGI intro, it kinda got frustrating.

looked online, deleted game file, went offline, reloaded, then played a bit thru tutorial. afterwards will get the patch to get it working properly.

coincidentally almost done with lords of the fallen, last boss fight is a b*tch.

this one is gorgeous tho, the comic intro (where it introduces the zombie part, is almost 3d likish)...

I had the loading error too. I did a full power cycle and it worked the second time.

I have gotten a bit farther and I think this game is pretty cool. I will admit though that it is so complex that I fear that I could end up getting frustrated down the road. In particular the combat, crafting, and character development.

So question for Joms and Pauly, does this game seem complex to you too? I just recently got a PS4 so I am still a novice. I can't tell if I am just being a newb.

I think it's pretty typical of an RPG game. At least Witcher 1 and 2 were, in that sense. 2 had multiple combat styles, depending on whether you chose to specialize in swordfighting, magic, or potions - and you could only realistically develop one of those three paths.

I'm assuming 3 is similar... still haven't started it. Maybe today, I'm itching to see how this looks on my new(ish) GPU.

Pauly, there are people complaining about how it was 'downgraded' in regards to graphics, yet the company says its 'optimization not downgrading - downgrading is removing something while optimization is making it WORK'... I don't really care much for it, as long as its fluid enough to make it seamless is all I care for.

Andy, you are not alone in how complex this is. I liked other RPG games which allows you to 'cater' to your build. in certain cases you can be a warrior, a mage or wizard, or a rogue or assassin, and the game pumps the stats to fill that need. W3 seems to be more or less a blend of all three, which is difficult for me. I tend to keep on attacking but forget to use the force field effect and/or use the traps etc. then I don't see the stamina, then I lose out on adrenaline etc. so it takes time for me to 'learn' it.

I might skip a bit on this one, since they are still working on the quirks. a bit of complains here and there, but im definitely fighting an uphill battle. this was reminiscent of the older witcher 2 game, I really hope I don't drop this one off...

Give me my VATS anyday and I will pay premium for it.

Yeah it's hard to design a game that pushes the limits of a PC GPU, while being compatible with consoles (that in general aren't as powerful in graphics, especially as they age).

I've got the game running, have only barely started, playing with graphics settings and looking around... yes so far maybe not quite as impressive as AC Unity, and not quite as hard on the GPU.

AndySTL said:
Have you killed the Griffin yet? Bastard keeps kicking my ass.

nope. didn't go that direction yet. id assume you'd have to level up a bit.

other folks been complaining about how small the text was (which will be fixed in the update), and how S L O O O W it is to level up.

oh well.

i eventually killed the griffin. Was a tough fight. I am going a little out of order. I am on the noonwraith at the well now.

So far, from playing just the intro and riding into town, I'd say yeah the graphics while good aren't at the level of Witcher 2 (which is AMAZING), but they're still quite good. One thing it seems they have done very well, though, is the human character graphic detail. People are very real-looking in this game.

Yeah the journal/inventory/character system seems on the same level as Witcher 2. Haven't started leveling up yet as I haven't played long enough, but from what I can tell that looks similar.

Right away I can see that if you haven't played the previous games, the plot won't make much sense at least initially. There's a lot of back story here. And the story of this game series is particularly good, one of the reasons I like it so much.

Wow, I guess today was the day things started to click for me in this game. Now I am loving it. I'm just doing all the secondary missions I can find and discovering all the the question markers on the map. My combat is vastly improved too!

Cool. Yes I tend to do lots (or all) of the side missions too, and exploration of the territory is a time-honored tradition in this sort of game. ;)

So far I'm liking this installment. Gameplay is smooth, lots to see and explore. The details of the environment are very good, which for me adds a lot to the game. Got past the Griffin. Decided to focus on signs for my abilities.

Mainly, choose one skill set to concentrate on, don't try to do a little of everything. In Witcher 2, with a similar skill tree, I did alchemy/potions. It was fun, but I spent *so* much time gathering ingredients... I figure trying signs will be a good intermediate between that and pure "hack and slash" swordfighting which is fun at times but IMHO gets old more quickly. We'll see...

This is where RPGs get their replay value; even if the plot's the same, the overall gameplay is very different depending on what skills you focus on. E.g. Skyrim, where I played multiple characters - thief/bow, magician, swordfighter.

how good is the hack n slash on this by the way? my combat on this has been pretty much button mashing for now, as I cant learn how to parry or riposte as well. I just briefly looked into the skill tree, but I cant see sh*t without going closer.

anyways, is there a way to parry or riposte BETTER?

I don't have a shield. :angry-banghead:

I don't think there are shields in this game... Yeah there's a swordfighting skill set, which I assume would include clever parrying tricks and such. My skills with fast timing in swordsmanship are usually lacking, which is why I generally choose other paths. But in Skyrim, I admit I took some pleasure in the "finishing move" of jumping on a dragon's neck and stabbing them through the head with a sword. :laughing:

so, where you folks at this point? I finally got to Velen and beat the griffin, but looking forward to novingrad.

tried to beat another griffin, couldn't do it. too damn high skill level.

got the viper school swords tho. awesome.

Back