• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Thinking of getting a new receiver

Huey

Famous
Where is the most economical place to buy a decent one. Been looking on Amazon, stayed mostly with Yamaha as I've owned 4 of them and really have never had a problem with them. I have to ask, when did pre-outs go out of style? In order to get a Yamaha with pre-outs, the cheapest one I could find is in the $800 range, which I was hoping to stay in the 5-6 hundred dollar range. I'd love to stay with Yamaha, but they seem to be pretty proud of the ones with the pre-outs. Open to all recommendations, although I've seen too many people with problems with Onkyo, I'm not sure I'd buy one of those.

The biggest reason I'm thinking about it, is for 4K pass through, still have to unplug a cable to get sound from the UHD player, but Atmos might be nice to have as well. The wife told me I should just buy one already, so that's what got me looking. Always nice to have the wife's blessing on something like this.

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago and basically received the same answer (Accessories4less).
I'll be purchasing a refurb in the $149 price range in the next few months. Need to get through some other
cash outlays first.

I was looking at some Yamahas on Accessories4Less before Christmas. Didn't end up doing anything. It's become about impossible to make sense of Denon's product line anymore, and like you, I just can't trust Onkyo. It looks like Yamaha also puts full video conversion and scaling in more reasonably priced receivers too (some it's tough to tell if it will convert and scale analog to HDMI).

Let us know what you get (and why).

Yeah, prices are pretty good at the site, and just need to figure out which one to get. The more expensive ones look like they have a wireless antenna on it, which I'm assuming is for streaming, not sure I really need or want that, but as long as it has 4K passthrough, Dolby Atmos and HDR, I'll be set.

Yeah, prices are pretty good at the site, and just need to figure out which one to get. The more expensive ones look like they have a wireless antenna on it, which I'm assuming is for streaming, not sure I really need or want that, but as long as it has 4K passthrough, Dolby Atmos and HDR, I'll be set.

Almost all receivers have wifi for firmware updates and streaming music. Accessories4Less is great. My last two primary system receivers came from there.

Yeah I noticed the same thing when I started looking. You need to pay a premium for pre-outs.

Accessories4Less

I picked up my Marantz from them, I could not be happier.

My only complaint, the users manual is online.

I like a paper copy for easy reference, but it how its done now, well at least for Marantz.

Accessories4Less

I like a paper copy for easy reference, but it how its done now, well at least for Marantz.

Aren't you able to print it out? I've done that with several manuals.

Those prices look great, and I'm a little hesitant to buy refurbished, but when you can save almost 50%, I think I'll get over that issue pretty quickly.

Those prices look great, and I'm a little hesitant to buy refurbished, but when you can save almost 50%, I think I'll get over that issue pretty quickly.

I bought my Onkyo TX-SR805 from them, used it for nine years and then gave it to my brother-in-law when I upgraded to 4K. I had one issue with it that was covered under warranty without any drama.

I bought my current Marantz SR-6010 from them a couple of years ago and have had zero issues. I got it for half price.

Aren't you able to print it out? I've done that with several manuals.

I can its a bunch of pages, I still may take it a place and have it done and bound.

I just don't think about doing it when I am home. I am so busy with other things. Once I am home all the time I will get it done that way.

Accessories4Less

Me too.

Still haven't ordered anything, struggling to spend any money when all I have to do is unhook my darbee, which I can easily reach from the front of my tv. Only downside is it's probably not the best on the cable or connection to repeatedly unplug.

I did see an HDMI splitter at Walmart this weekend that I bought for $35. I didn't have the best of hopes that it would work, and wasn't disappointed. It said it was 4K capable, and it would pass a picture. Drawback, for what ever reason, something in the chain was downconverting Netflix 5.1 signal to Pro logic, and it wouldn't pass any kind of signal if it was one of the new formats.

When it does come time to buy a receiver, I'll most likely be buying it from accessories4less, hard to beat that pricing.

Add me to the A4L recommendations. I got a $1K Marantz AVR for under $500. The 1 year warranty (or whatever it is) should cover any major issues, I'd imagine. So it's relatively low risk I think. Kind of a no-brainer if you ask me.

Still haven't ordered anything, struggling to spend any money when all I have to do is unhook my darbee, which I can easily reach from the front of my tv. Only downside is it's probably not the best on the cable or connection to repeatedly unplug.

I did see an HDMI splitter at Walmart this weekend that I bought for $35. I didn't have the best of hopes that it would work, and wasn't disappointed. It said it was 4K capable, and it would pass a picture. Drawback, for what ever reason, something in the chain was downconverting Netflix 5.1 signal to Pro logic, and it wouldn't pass any kind of signal if it was one of the new formats.

When it does come time to buy a receiver, I'll most likely be buying it from accessories4less, hard to beat that pricing.

The only company that I know of that makes full 4K HDR compliant splitters is HDFury.

I can also attest to the fact that some devices provide no end of HDCP bullshit, even when using a properly set up HD Fury device. I use one on the second zone output of my receiver to down-convert from 4K/HDCP 2.2 to 1080p/HDCP 1.3 for my kitchen TV. My Roku Ultra was constantly throwing HDCP errors, requiring reboots. My NVidia Shield TV works flawlessly. My point here is that the level of success with these kinds of things is a bit variable and a pain in the ass.

Back