• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

This $30K speaker with a JBL horn and 15 inch drivers gobsmacks the Audiophiliac

TitaniumTroy

I'm posting this because these speakers are related to mine, via the JBL M2 project speakers. These have the M2's more sophisticated horn and two 15" woofers. I like the Positive Feedback reviewers comments, as he has heard much more expensive speakers in his large apartment.

Wow.... lots to question in their discussion... LOTS!

Yes, big rooms need more acoustic power - especially in the bass.
Yes, 18 watt amps are rarely enough power, even with efficient speakers, if you want reference listening levels.

But, what the hell? Listening from 20 feet away? Why?
"The Wife loves these." - OMG! I am so sick of that argument which suggests that even an ignorant novice can tell this product is good/bad. I am so sick of that trope, I am done with it.
Talking about audio for video is a total cop-out. Once our brains are processing moving images, it cannot come close to focusing on audio. In fact, audio is incredibly low priority once our eyes are active. So, why bother???? If a speaker kills it with video, that doesn't mean anything about how it performs with critical listening.

But... to be fair...

This is probably a completely unrehearsed video interview - Steve is a complete moron and sorta forced some stupid ideas into the conversation which the other dude had to respond to in a polite fashion.

I like the idea of these M2 derived speakers. JBL really knows their shit, and given a market for this sort of thing, JBL is certainly capable of delivering.

Thanks for your feedback, Flint. It's always appreciated. I might be making a youtube appearance at the AXPONA show, stay tuned. Steve could definitely be a better ambassador for the audio world, but I give him points for trying. Same for Paul McGowan of PS Audio, their are worse people and companies out there.

I did see a video where McGowan answered a question of the number one most important thing to good audio. Buy the best speakers you can afford. He didn't mention room acoustics but, that was a good starting point. Steve, I think would agree, I've never heard him talk about room acoustics so nada for him on that score too. Well at least McGowan didn't say cables.

I know that is a rather low bar to set, but it's the world we live in, unfortunately. Somebody needs to resurrect the first audio guy I followed, Julian Hirsch. His example would be a good standard to set, IMHO.

Last edited:
Hey, if you are going to be at AXPONA check out the Legacy Audio stuff and give me your thoughts.

Legacy Audio always has a large room, and while I always check them out. I've never been a fan of their sound, something about the room set up I think. Their soundstage imaging never engages me, they do give away free demo CD's so that's cool.

I do believe Legacy uses an asymmetrical room placement, with usually a black curtain behind their large speakers. This is supposed to smooth out bass room nodes, I believe but it throws the imaging/soundstage off to me.

Last edited:
Legacy Audio always has a large room, and while I always check them out. I've never been a fan of their sound, something about the room set up I think. Their soundstage imaging never engages me, they do give away free demo CD's so that's cool.

I do believe Legacy uses an asymmetrical room placement, with usually a black curtain behind their large speakers. This is supposed to smooth out bass room nodes, I believe but it throws the imaging/soundstage off to me.

Interesting for sure. I have heard several of their models in Springfield and I always thought their imaging and soundstage was way above average.

Maybe it's just a show thing, as I have not heard them at a dealer. I always like reading about all the various technologies they use in their speakers and outboard DSP processing.

Or I could be completely off base and not have a clue as to what I am talking about... LOL

Back