• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Three dead amps...help!!

mcad64

Last night at the half time show for the superbowl I thought" Wow the sound for this is shit" Muddy and all we could hear was Justin Timberlake's voice. I thought, they must be having audio problems. Football comes back on and I figure the audio will be back to normal. Nope. Only sound is the centre channel. Still got the gist of what was going on so I didn't bother til this morning (we had guests).
It's the same with all sources. I can turn the Parasound hca1000A on at the power button, so now I have my rear surrounds and the centre. The two Bryston 3bst's will not power up (supply mains and left and right surround.
Nothing at the electrical panel has been tripped. When I tried to turn everything on this morning (I have everything running on 12v triggers) as I said none fired up except centre( bryston powerpac). Manually the parasound would come on but the two Brystons were a no go!!! Fuses?
Help please.
Mike

Doesn't Bryston have a 20 year warranty or something like that? I rarely see user replaceable fuses inside amps anymore for liability reasons, but you might get lucky.

Well, I called a fine gentleman at Bryston named Mike (what a great name) and he was patient and ran me through some things. Checked fused and they were fine. So then he said put it to local rather than twelve volt trigger. How do I do that I ask. He say look on the back and next to the leads for the 12v wires is a switch with a dial for one to 4 seconds delay and one that says local. Switch to local and I hear that wonderful sound of the amp firing up.
SO...I have a suspicion that I was only hearing the centre channel from the start of the game (not just half time) and it is a fault in the 12v circuitry of the Integra prepro perhaps. As I mentioned the rear parasound didn't fire up either. I will check the wires however if I have not touched them recently I don't see how that could be the problem? I am worried that the 12V is fried. Will check wire though and read through the Integra owners manual.
My heart was in my mouth there for awhile. Worst comes to worst and I have a first world problem where I have to get up and physically turn on the amps!!
Mike

There looks to be a fuse hatch beside the power receptacle on the back. It should have the rating printed on the panel - can't read it clearly from the owner's manual posted by Bryston.

Somewhat weird that two would fail at the same time. I'd be thinking about identifying why they popped as much as how to replace them.

Jeff

SLOW POST

Problem solved. I got to thinking (dangerous but I do it from time to time) why was the centre channel on then if it is on a 12v trigger as well. SO i went behind my rack and sifted through the hornets nest of wires and voila. The centre was on a different 12v trigger (this Integra has three labelled A,B,C) and the other amps were daisy chained onto a different trigger. Switched the dead amps to the third trigger and everything fired up. So I assume (hopefully correctly) that Trigger A is fried. So now my question, how long before B and or C conk out as well?
Mike

Problem solved. I got to thinking (dangerous but I do it from time to time) why was the centre channel on then if it is on a 12v trigger as well. SO i went behind my rack and sifted through the hornets nest of wires and voila. The centre was on a different 12v trigger (this Integra has three labelled A,B,C) and the other amps were daisy chained onto a different trigger. Switched the dead amps to the third trigger and everything fired up. So I assume (hopefully correctly) that Trigger A is fried. So now my question, how long before B and or C conk out as well?
Mike

It's an Integra, which is the CI version of Onkyo which is Japanese for "broken" ... so good luck.

It's an Integra, which is the CI version of Onkyo which is Japanese for "broken" ... so good luck.
Not sure what CI means but I figure as long as I have one good 12V trigger I can daisy chain 'em all!! Ha!!!
Otherwise....what's the latest developments in prepros?:biggrin::bouncygrin:

With my 886, I recall having an issue with Onkyo over firmware updates (which I eventually overcame) and it has required a hard reboot a couple of times, but otherwise it has been rock-steady and I have no need nor desire to replace it. As such I've paid scant attention to what's available nowadays.

However I would likely start by looking at offerings from Marantz, since I think they still make beasts with all the connections horsepower that I would need.

If I were getting rid of all of my legacy analogue gear and going HDMI-only, I'd probably take a look at Outlaw.

Jeff

I have to unplug my Onkyo preamp (885) every few months for a full reboot. Otherwise it works fine.

I was kidding about looking around. Besides this latest problem with the 12v trigger, (knock on wood) this Integra has been bulletproof.

By the way, it appears the current best value hard to beat HT preamp is from Yamaha. If I were to upgrade, that's what I'd be looking at.

Not sure what CI means but I figure as long as I have one good 12V trigger I can daisy chain 'em all!! Ha!!!
Otherwise....what's the latest developments in prepros?:biggrin::bouncygrin:

CI = Custom Integrator
It’s the line of gear that’s supposedly reserved for installers.

On my phone, hard to link. It is the only Yamaha pre/pro model crutchfield has on their website.

Just curious ... why the Yamaha A5100 over the Marantz 7704?

Word is the Yamaha offers better performance for audio in general, which has always been a strength for Yamaha's digital products, and many prefer the Yamaha auto tuning over Audessey. Also, all of the advanced controls are available to anyone willing to take it on, whereas the Marantz limits some controls to custom installers. I am sure there's a hack for nerds like us to get to those controls, but out of the box Yamaha has no restrictions. Yamaha also gets high marks for their dynamic range features, though I would probably never use them.

But, why any preamp over another when most of the features are functionally similar? I am just reporting what many have claimed. I've never actually touched, heard, or experienced either.

I would like to see a pre/pro with all the digital features, but far fewer analog input options. The sheer size of these things is insane when you only utilize 8% of the jacks on the back.

Back