• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Tripp Lite SMART1500LCD Battery Replacement

D

Deleted member 133

Even though Tripp Lite says that the batteries in its SMART1500LCD UPS are not user-replaceable, have any of you tackled the job yourself?

With my recent power / Onkyo 886 woes I checked the age of my UPS found that it's been in service for five years. I'll run a test on it the next time I go downstairs to the main HT, but I suspect that even if it does pass, it's getting close to their end of life.

A whole new unit is ~$200US on Amazon.com (shipped to a US address - where I won't be for another 2 months) whereas I can get the batteries alone for ~$50Cdn on Amazon.ca shipped to my home.

Surely this can't be any more difficult than changing a car battery.

Jeff

Yeah, I've replaced the batteries in both my TrippLite and APC UPS systems with only minor issues in getting the right batteries and jumper wires.

I'm lucky and have a Tripplite dealer very close to me with all the batteries in-stock. Let me know if I can help.

Thanks Guys.

I've also got a good-sized CyberPower UPS stored away that's over 12 years old. I can get new batteries for it from Amazon.ca as well for ~$60Cdn. Just checked that owner's manual and it gives instructions on how to swap out the batteries.

I'll probably wait a couple of months or so to order replacements for both units, when the leg is strong enough to schlepp these things into and out of the basement HT.

Jeff

A couple of days ago I ran the self-test on the Tripp Lite UPS and it alternated between complete failure, and passing, each time I tested it. I sent a note to Tripp Lite and they advised that the life expectancy of a lead acid battery is 3-5 years and that, given the self-test results (and their age), mine are in need of replacement. I'm now thinking that if I can get my neighbour to agree to help with the swap, I'll probably order these sooner, rather than later.

Good idea! Except that we'll kill a growler AFTER the work is done.

Talked to him this evening and he's happy to help. Ordered the batteries through Amazon.ca - two for each UPS. Total order, delivery and taxes in, came to $144Cdn - which is about half the cost of one new UPS like my two.

Delivery should be next week at the latest.

Jeff

I have a chain store called "Batteries Plus" just down the street from me and they have replaced a couple of my Tripplite batteries in less than an hour.

The batteries arrived earlier this week and my neighbour came over this evening. Took us just over an hour to get all the work done. Both UPS units are now working like new. Swapped in a new receptacle.

I also put another 8-socket Tripp Lite Isobar into play. Tomorrow I'm going to map out all of the power connections and move some power cords around.

For anyone thinking of doing such battery replacements themselves, I can tell you it's dirt easy. Just follow proper electrical isolation / grounding procedures - just in case.

We killed the growler.

Jeff

Another thing I found out with APC that with new batteries you sometimes have to follow a procedure to all the unit to self program on time and shutdowns by using a large motor or load like for my 1000 watt I used 3 300 watt halogen lamps for 900 watt of usage and pulled the plug to allow the unit to run the charged new batteries down and shut off. This according to the apc reps was reporgraming the run time on the batteries and the shut off for low charge status.

Back