• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

TV - Wall Mount Height and Angle?

The DirtMerchant

Famous
I have a 65" TV in my Living Room. Currently sitting 10' 9" away (from eyes to screen.
The TV sits on a 32" high cabinet. At the moment sitting back on the couch my eyes are at about 32-36" from the ground.
So my head or anyone's head is tilted back and...I think its not comfortable. I feel like I have to lean back and prop my neck all the time and I end up slouching always.
So, I want to wall mount the TV. Which would push it maybe 8"-10" further back from its current position.

I'm thinking on a full motion wall mount which would allow for -10 deg tilt.

How high up the wall do I mount the TV?
Do I wall mount just slightly above the cabinet/current height and just tilt slightly downard?

Angled down on the wall compared to straight up/down on the cabinet is better for neck/viewing...right?

Or do I take out the 32" high cabinet...and replace with a low table...and get it to the proper "center of TV at eye level"?
Personally I like my eyes level with somewhere in the bottom third of the screen. We have an 85” set in the living room and at approx 11-12’ away my eyes are level with the bottom bezel when sitting. Also I don’t think the downward angle of the set really improves much unless theres a bad glare.

628EB07B-F6C0-46A5-BFE0-D5E970DD9C05.jpeg

I always thought the rule of thumb was eye level while seated should be at about 1/3 of the way from the bottom of the screen. That seems to result in a fairly comfortable angle.

I can't stand this "put it up at head height while standing" thing that a lot of houses have going on.

My last displays have been mounted over my fireplaces.
Textbook say they are mounted way too high but i have never had a problem with it.
At my last house it was a little better because the room was 23' long.
In this room I only have about 15' and the display may be a little higher. Bottom of the display is probably 5' up.

Attachments

• 20230429_223806.jpg
    20230429_223806.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 2
OK. So what I'm hearing is...the height it is at is fine, maybe it could move down a little if any. And my posture and neck/back muscles need to improve.
Angle change on the TV does nothing.

Nah
If your personal preference is that it be lower by all means you should lower it.
I don't really have a personal preference here. I simply want my neck/shoulder pain to go away and I figured the feeling of craning my neck to look upwards at the display (and because I always ended up slouching)...that the angle of view was the cause. But I'm already looking at just below the lower 3rd of the TV and others have it even higher w/ no issue...and angling the TV downward would make no difference. Honestly, I wanted to move it upward when I mounted it onto the wall and tilt it downward, but tilting does nothing for that. So...get my posture better and that will actually do something. Maybe save some ducats and get some proper seating like Zing!

OK. So what I'm hearing is...the height it is at is fine, maybe it could move down a little if any. And my posture and neck/back muscles need to improve.
Angle change on the TV does nothing.
As stated my last 2 displays were mounted "too high".
I firmly believe that having angled mounts, helped a little.
At your mounting heights I am not sure it would make a huge difference. For me it absolutely did.

Back