• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Updated Traveling Campanion: JBL Charge 3 BT Speaker

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
You guys may recall I was traveling with the JBL Charge Bluetooth speaker and loved it (LINK TO THREAD)

The speaker still works well, but recently I've noticed something loose inside the speaker rattling around when I handle it and started considering a replacement. Then two weeks ago I received an advertisement from Fry's with a coupon for the newest Charge 3 which reduced the purchase price to $49 from the common online price of about $125. So, I ordered one and was pleased to see they didn't charge shipping.

Here's a link to the official JBL Website for the speaker (I received the Turquois Blue):
http://www.jbl.com/bluetooth-speake...e_3&creative=12756227894&device=c&matchtype=e

First off, the speaker is MUCH larger than the original Charge I was traveling with, so I need to make a bit more room in my suitcase for this speaker. It also didn't come with a case like the original, so I ordered a basic one from Amazon for $15. That means I spent about $64 for the speaker and a case.

The new, larger Charge 3, sounds great. As expected, the larger size allows for the bass to be much stronger and deeper than the earlier model. It is still very clean sounding and can play much louder than you'd expect given its size. However, the bass it pretty strong, which is great if I am out in the yard, park, beach, or in the middle of a very large room. In a hotel room near a wall it is a bit boomy sounding, which is disappointing considering that's where I will be using it the most. I found I can put it out in the room and it sounds pretty nice without way too much bass, so that is my plan going forward.

JBL kept the huge Lithium-Ion battery, so it can run for a very long time AND charge my phone at the same time. That could prove useful if I am out at a park or something where there is no other power source.

It also has a very effective speakerphone capability and can control the music on my phone by pausing, starting, or skipping tracks.

I do like it very much, and for the price ($64) it is nothing short of amazing. That said, if I were spending $125, I'd get something different, like a Sony or Klipsch portable speaker.

I have the had the newer Charge 3 for about 4-5 months now and love it. I agree that it can be a little boomy. But all the other features outweigh that IMO. The battery life per charge is outstanding. I even used it as an outboard CB speaker (using the 3.5mm input) when we went off-roading in the beginning of April. I got it on sale at BB plus had a $20 reward certificate so I didn't quite get your price but still got a great deal on it. Highly recommended!

That's cool. I failed to mention this model claimed to be waterproof while the previous models were water-resistant.

The boomy bass is only a problem where it is in a room close to a wall. If I put it out in the middle of a large room or use it outdoors it sound nicely balanced. Clearly that was the intention of the designers making a waterproof speaker with a massive battery - lots of use in the open outdoors.

Conducting the ultimate test of the JBL Charge 3 speaker on the pool deck overlooking Simpson Bay in Sint Maarten. While Becky grills fresh caught red snapper and lobster (brought in this morning), we've been relaxing to great recordings of Jarrett/Dejohnette/Peacock while sipping rum and soaking in the sun.

IMG_20170805_134353.jpg

This little speaker is astonishingly ideal for this sort of application. Clean, clear, more than loud enough with plenty of bass to make the double bass and drums sound incredible. We've been enjoying it at pretty loud levels for nearly three hours and it still plays on and on with its huge battery.

Go get one and come to the islands.

Last edited:
Conducting the ultimate test of the JBL Charge 3 speaker on the pool deck overlooking Simpson Bay in Sint Maarten. While Becky grills fresh caught red snapper and lobster (brought in this morning), we've been relaxing to great recordings of Jarrett/Dejohnette/Peacock while sipping rum and soaking in the sun.

View attachment 7027

This little speaker is astonishingly ideal for tgis sort of application. Clean, clear, more than loud enough with plenty of bass to make the double bass and drums sound incredible. We've been enjoying it at pretty loud levels for nearly three hours and it still plays on and on with its huge battery.

Go get one and come to the islands.

Now THAT'S how you do a review. Well done sir.

To follow up, we relaxed to the music playing over that speaker from about 10 am until after 7 pm and the battery was reading over 70% . Wow.

Now for a night crawl and some drinks.

Hang on....did you bury the lede.....Is this updated travel companion thread about the speaker....Or the person you are with?

Based on some of the previous threads it is great to see you happy again.

Best

I just noticed Target has a sale on the JBL Charge 3, offering it for $120. That's a goodx price. If you want a very portable great sounding speaker, go get one.

Back