• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Verizon Fios and Xbox Live - Voice Control

Doghart

Well-Known Member
Oh, but you have to have an xbox LIVE account....


Good for me because I have one anyway!

So this is for FioS customers only? Or could you subscribe only over xbox live.

D
 

mzpro5

Well-Known Member
Famous
Doghart said:
Oh, but you have to have an xbox LIVE account....


Good for me because I have one anyway!

So this is for FioS customers only? Or could you subscribe only over xbox live.

D

I would say you have to have VERIZON Fios.
 

-B-

Well-Known Member
I think it's BS that services I already subscribe to (FiOS and Zune Pass) require an XBOX Gold account to use the services on hardware I own already. I'd be OK with purchasing an app for a one time fee to make it work, but to pay a monthly membership fee for something I'd only use for those 2 things I already pay to use is outrageous. Greedy MS, boo hiss.
 

Towen7

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Moderator
You can use an Xbox as a Uverse STB today. I wonder if MS and AT&T have plans to offer something similar.
 

Doghart

Well-Known Member
-B- said:
I think it's BS that services I already subscribe to (FiOS and Zune Pass) require an XBOX Gold account to use the services on hardware I own already. I'd be OK with purchasing an app for a one time fee to make it work, but to pay a monthly membership fee for something I'd only use for those 2 things I already pay to use is outrageous. Greedy MS, boo hiss.



You can buy a 12 month xbox live subscription card for $35-$50 online. Even at $50 it's less than $5 a month for a service that is constantly updated, patched and monitored.

Look the FREE PS network. It's not so hot. PS is now offering a paid alternative because they know they can't offer something of any quality for free.

I game online with my xbox, use it for Netflix or last FM, download movies, use it as my network extender for Windows Media Center, Mostly though for me it is used for online gaming. I personally would pay double the asking price for the quality of the online experience I have with my xbox.

D
 

-B-

Well-Known Member
Doghart said:
-B- said:
I think it's BS that services I already subscribe to (FiOS and Zune Pass) require an XBOX Gold account to use the services on hardware I own already. I'd be OK with purchasing an app for a one time fee to make it work, but to pay a monthly membership fee for something I'd only use for those 2 things I already pay to use is outrageous. Greedy MS, boo hiss.



You can buy a 12 month xbox live subscription card for $35-$50 online. Even at $50 it's less than $5 a month for a service that is constantly updated, patched and monitored.

Look the FREE PS network. It's not so hot. PS is now offering a paid alternative because they know they can't offer something of any quality for free.

I game online with my xbox, use it for Netflix or last FM, download movies, use it as my network extender for Windows Media Center, Mostly though for me it is used for online gaming. I personally would pay double the asking price for the quality of the online experience I have with my xbox.

D

D, my point is I'm already puttin money out for these things, charging monthly for the privilege to use them on my machine doesn't exactly scream fair to me.
 

Towen7

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Moderator
I get where ypur coming from Dog and, if im honest, it makes sense.

-B- and I are seeing it from a different perspective because were not on-line gamers. From our point of view MS is requiring us to pay to for a Live account to use Xbox services. From Dog's perspective he pays for the Xbox Live account for the gaming, which makes all these premium services essentially free.

Back to the OP though...
I've seen all the Kinect ads and I have to say that I'm not sure that I'm ready to talk to my TV.
 

lulimet

Well-Known Member
I don't see the point of it because it requires you to have Fios TV subscription.
Why would I watch TV through my 360 when I already have Fios TV stb and hundreds more channels?

The only benefit I see with this is if you don't want to pay for an extra stb for lets say a bedroom and you happen to have an xbox there that would do the job but then you're still limited to only 29 channels.
 

Towen7

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Moderator
That's what Uverse does with the Xbox today with the exception of any Kinect functionality.
 

Barney

Longhorns, Cowboys, Spurs, & Rangers...love Texas
.......finding out.....don't have to have to have a program provider to get the ESPN app on the xbox360.............sorry for the mis-information TW gave me.....
 

Towen7

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Moderator
lulimet said:
Can you watch recorded shows from the xbox if you have a Home Media DVR?

I'm not sure what you mean by "Home Media DVR". I record OTA tv shows using my PC and Windows Media Center and I can watch those on the Xbox.
 

Batman

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Moderator
Famous
I think he's referring to DVRs provided by the content provider. Some whole-house setups have one centralized DVR which theoretically the Xboxs would have access to...
 

lulimet

Well-Known Member
Yes sorry,whole house DVR (or Home media DVR as Verizon calls it) is a DVR that you can record shows and be able to play them in another room from a non dvr box.
 

Towen7

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Moderator
I can only speak to how the Xbox works with Uverse. AT&T allows you to use the Xbox as an STB. All Uverse customers with a DVR have standard whole-house DVR functions, where all STBs can access and play content from the DVR. The Xbox when used as a Uverse STB has that ability as well.
 

Barney

Longhorns, Cowboys, Spurs, & Rangers...love Texas
Towen7 said:
lulimet said:
Can you watch recorded shows from the xbox if you have a Home Media DVR?

I'm not sure what you mean by "Home Media DVR". I record OTA tv shows using my PC and Windows Media Center and I can watch those on the Xbox.
How are you & Dog viewing anything from your PC's WMP on your xbox360 without being hardwired ? If hardwired, why go through the xbox ?
 
Top