• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

VR to be mainstream soon?

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
I am walking around the expo show floor at NAB 2017 (National Association of Broadcasters) and there isn't a single major pro-video manufacturer who doesn't have a strong Virtual Reality offering. All the camera makers have several VR rigs or micro-cameras. Every workflow and editing company has VR tools. All the microphone companies have single point VR mics. There are special tripods and other camera mounts for VR cameras. And the lines to view VR demos are packed. This is strange.

Are we going to do away with displays and just buy VR headsets for the future of entertainment?

This sounds like 3D all over again.
I really just don't see most consumers putting on headsets for entertainment on a regular basis. Maybe VR bars will become a thing but I'm skeptical about mass adoption of VR for the home.

I don't get it either, but the sheer number of devices and tools to create VR content coming from everyone makes me think someone is expecting it to succeed.

I habe bad eyesight, so I cannot truly enjoy VR.

I don't get it either, but the sheer number of devices and tools to create VR content coming from everyone makes me think someone is expecting it to succeed.

I habe bad eyesight, so I cannot truly enjoy VR.
I remember that every manufacturer and pundit and their brother were absolutely certain that 3D was the next big thing, without a doubt. Well, that didn't work out so well.

We mustn't forget the very real and largely unsolvable motion sickness factor with VR (it affects me), and even having one person in your group unable to watch the show is going to put a tremendous damper on the whole experience for everyone else, especially if there is no other option other than wearing the VR headset.

Actually, VR is already joining the smartwatch in the graveyard of monumentally stupid ideas.

The CEO of the company I work for gave a talk the other day and he mentioned VR but his idea of how it'll be used just doesn't jive with mine. He said thar he thinks VR will allow us to do things we like to do with other people even when those people aren't in the same space. His example was that you and a friend in another city can "be at a concert together". That's where he lost me.

I started taking photos to show you guts how many products and companies are putting serious work into VR, but gave up. All I know is that everyone is supporting it with products and services.

We believe you. We're just not convinced that no matter how many companies are working on it that VR will be something that home consumers will adopt.

It'll be interesting what the artists come up with. I can clearly see that the tools are available to create content.

Back