• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Warming up to the idea of a soundbar

lulimet

Long story short, I am sick of the sound from the TV speakers in the living room so I want something better.
I thought about using a spare Harman Kardon receiver that I have and a pair of bookshelf speakers (have 3 different pairs) but that would complicate things for the wife and kids having to use separate remote to control volume. So I started thinking about a soundbar as the simpler solution.
I know soundbars don't have great sound but I am sure they would be a major improvement over TV speakers. All I really need is one optical input and the xfinity remote control to be able to control the volume so we don't have to use the soundbar's remote at all.
I only have a cable box and a Google Chromecast connected to this TV both through HDMI.

After some search, I am really considering the Onkyo LS-T10 from AC4less
http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...s-t10-envisioncinema-tv-speaker-system/1.html

It has what I need (bluetooth is a bonus) and should be decent sounding and it's right at my budget of $150.

Good idea? Bad idea?

I don't have any personal experience with the one in your link. But for this exact purpose I'd endorse a ZVox sound base. I use one in both our family room and master bedroom and have been VERY pleased. They're not cheap though.

Just looked at your link.....for 70% off and $150 I don't see how you'd lose unless it just flat out sucks.

I was going to recommend checking out the Pioneer SP-SB03 soundbase by Andrew Jones, but they don't make it anymore. I have one in my bedroom and like it. The ZVox units Batman suggested sound great. A friend of mine has one.

I have a Zvox soundbar and love it. They are kind of speedy though. I don't think you can go wrong with the one you chose. Almost anything will sound way better than the TV.

The Zvox have good reviews but they are $300, double of what I want to spend.
I decided to order the Onkyo. Hopefully it's good enough that I won't feel like I wasted $150 for no improvement.

Just get a good universal remote, then you can use the macro features and hit one button for everything you need. I have the Harmony One. My wive loves it, if she wants to watch a movie, tv, ect. All one touch, you can set it up on the computer, it will even control your remote fans. Just a thought.
I just put the other remotes away for safe keeping.

Unless your just wanting a excuse to get more speakers.

I have a Harmony 700 remote but I use it in my main system. The kids are still very young and wouldn't know how to use it.
They are familiar and know how to use the xfinity remote, that's why it was important for the soundbar's volume to be controlled with the current remote.

That is one weakness of non-mainstream hardware makers. Their IR codes sometimes aren't in the database of the STB makers "universal" remotes. My U-verse remote for example could not control the Zvox.the good news is that Zvox anticipated that and built in the ability for their products to learn IR commands.

That is one weakness of non-mainstream hardware makers. Their IR codes sometimes aren't in the database of the STB makers "universal" remotes. My U-verse remote for example could not control the Zvox.the good news is that Zvox anticipated that and built in the ability for their products to learn IR commands.

That's what my Pioneer does. I set it up to work with the remote from my Roku TV.

It arrived today and I hooked it up a couple of hours ago. The box it came in was all banged up but the unit itself and the accessories were fine so whatever. It came with a remote, an optical digital cable and a 3.5 mm audio cable.
It must have had the IR codes already preset for the Panasonic TVs because the xfinity remote worked right away for the volume control.

I'll report back on the sound but one thing is for sure, I would have never paid the original $400 price. :eek:

Sounds like it came by UPS, they just throw boxes in the truck nothing is secure. Then they bounce from the top to the bottom of the truck.

Chop Chop on that sound report.

It was from Fedex and it was the Onkyo factory packaging box. It wasn't put in a shipping box.
The tape on the bottom of the box had split and I don't know how the accessories didn't slide out. :eek:

Very disappointed with AC4Less for not using a proper shipping box.

It was from Fedex and it was the Onkyo factory packaging box. It wasn't put in a shipping box.
The tape on the bottom of the box had split and I don't know how the accessories didn't slide out. :eek:

Very disappointed with AC4Less for not using a proper shipping box.

Its really not really their fault. I am surprised anything makes it. They Fedex, UPS, all just pile it into the back of a truck then hope for the best. Its not like they pack the truck tightly, less then a quarter is full. The packages have a lot of room to fall and bounce around. If they would palatalize them and wrap them in plastic wrap it would not happen, but they don't. I have been bounced where my entire body has been off the bed in my truck. I am 5'9" 215lb
The roads we have really suck, passenger vehicles don't notice it as much. But in a truck trust me you feel every thing. I drive for Swift I really don't know how some of the packages even make it half of the time.

Back