• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What do musicians want their recordings to sound like? Steve Guttenburg talks to a recording engineer

TitaniumTroy

My favorite part was when Steve asks him about, the Audiophile cliche. "I want to hear what the band sounds like in the room" And then the recording studio guys response.

Essentially, recording is not about the search for some ultimate truth. But trying to reach an idealized version of what the artist wants to sound like. And to reach that goal, you have to use and abuse all of the recording engineer's tools and tricks of the trade. Hope I got that right.

Last edited:
So he's talking primarily about pop/rock music, which is rarely meant to sound like the actual band in a live room. That went away decades ago. Hell, the Beach Boys, the Beatles and others abandoned accuracy for the created sound only possible from studio techniques in the mid-1960s.

With many other genres, however, there is a desire to capture what may be heard in a live space. But, even then, the recording process might be far from capturing a live performance and instead using tricks and processing to create a sound which the artists believes represents what they hear in a live space.

Just the same, I think the audiophile trope "hear the band in the studio" is just a misinformed concept of hearing exactly what the artist intended on the master tape. Being ignorant of the recording process led to this idea of hearing the instruments in the room, and with many great sounding recordings the perception of hearing real instruments in a room is so realistic they assume that's what they are hearing - the artists' goal.

Back