• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What program to burn CD's

Deerhunter

What software do ya'll use to burn CDs I want the full quality. I have a few I would like to add to my computer but I don't want too loose the quality.
Thanks

Do you mean rip the CDs to your computer?
I just use iTunes for ripping CDs as it does a good job with that.

I don't like iTunes.. Burning CD to my computer so I can throw them on my phone..

Thanks Flint

I was confused. Taking info off a CD and putting it on your computer is usually called "ripping". Taking them off your computer and onto a CD is "burning".

I was confused. Taking info off a CD and putting it on your computer is usually called "ripping". Taking them off your computer and onto a CD is "burning".
...and taking a CD and making a bit-perfect copy is called ... copying.

Three different beasts with different possible approaches for each.

Jeff

I took a look at my programs to see what I have on my machine for ripping, burning and media management when I discovered that I have more than 20 programs. It is obviously time to thin the herd. The one I use most often for ripping is Exact Audio Copy, which is great for ripping discs to FLAC. If I want to convert FLAC to MP3, I use xrecode II.

I took a look at my programs to see what I have on my machine for ripping, burning and media management when I discovered that I have more than 20 programs. It is obviously time to thin the herd. The one I use most often for ripping is Exact Audio Copy, which is great for ripping discs to FLAC. If I want to convert FLAC to MP3, I use xrecode II.
Let's see...

When ripping or copying I have AnyDVD running in the background.

To copy a disc (which I almost never do anymore) I use ImgBurn. It's a two-stage process: "create image file from disc" and then "write image file to disc." Sometimes I'll buy a used disc from a local pawn shop / goodwill etc. and it will be somehow damaged and not play properly. In many cases it can be copied. In the cases where ImgBurn fails to read the disc properly, I've found that using the right drive (an old USB Sony) and an old version of Nero running on an old XP desktop machine of mine will result in a clean, like-new, copy.

For ripping to MP3 I use iTunes.

I find "fre:ac" to be great for converting FLAC to MP3. When starting with a single FLAC file (ie. the entire CD contained in a single FLAC file) and corresponding CUE file, "Medieval CUE Splitter" works great to first extract the individual FLAC tracks. If its an APE file and corresponding CUE file then "MediaHuman Audio Converter" handles it directly to MP3. I could continue for any number of other weird and wonderful formats / file types out there.

Jeff

iTunes actually does do a very nice job, but I had reasons for not using it to convert my FLAC library to MP3. The main one was that I did not want to change the file structure. fre:ac is a nice little program. I've tried that one along with a ton of others, including Media Monkey. There is a lot of very nice free and inexpensive software out there for this stuff. For movies, I mainly use MakeMKV and Handbrake.

I'm just after CD quality, so I can enjoy it on my phone. My current player will play flac. Exact copy sounds like it should fit. Thanks again for the info.

Wavelab also looks interesting too.

For ripping CDs I use Window media player set to wav lossless

Last edited:
Fit ripping CDs I use Window media player set tip wav lossless
It's a good thing your autocorrect is turned on 'cause I'd have REAL trouble understanding what you type if it wasn't!

:)

Jeff

Back