• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What to do with a bunch of Morel Tweeters?

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
As most of you know, my previous primary speaker system has been removed due to a failure in the woofer gaskets which ruined the woofers. Today I removed the tweeters from the 7 speaker systems and cleaned them up. Only one was impacted by the Bile of Satan which oozed out over the faceplates of the speakers. So, I now have 6 excellent tweeters which need a home. I may be able to repair the 7th.

Morel_Tweeters_2018-10-15.jpg

The molten Sorbothane left a stain on the faceplates, so I cannot imagine selling these for anything close to what they are worth, so I think I have an opportunity to build some fun new speakers based on the amazing sound of these tweeters.

They are the Morel Supreme ST110-8 soft dome tweeters, the current equivalent is the Morel ST1048:
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...ers/morel-st1048-supreme-tweeter-104mm-8-ohm/

I am going to put them through the paces of my test gear, measuring their electrical, acoustics, and power capabilities then dream up ways to take advantage of the best of them. If they are all working at peak factory performance, I can make at least 3 stereo sets of speakers.

Could be fun! I'll share my ideas and progress here.

Here's what the worst of them looked before I removed it from the enclosure where it was coated with decomposed Sorbothane:
Morel_Tweeters_A_2018-10-15.jpg

As I contemplate projects, I realized I have two VERY GOOD bass bins with outstanding 11" Focal drivers in them - the same drivers used in their Utopia line of products. I could get a great midrange, like the Morel Supreme 6" midrange or similar from Scan-Speak or SB Acoustics (maybe even the new Dayton Audio Epique drivers which are getting great critical reviews within the core industry) and use them in a 3-way system with these tweeters.

Are these what Dynaudio uses? I always thought they made their own tweeters in-house for some reason.

Are these what Dynaudio uses? I always thought they made their own tweeters in-house for some reason.

Dynaudio makes their own drivers, but both Morel and Dynaudio were partners and shared patents and manufacturing. As such, they both use similar patented Hexatech voicecoils and large voicecoils with the magnet placed inside the coil. So, morel and dynaudio, who are no longer affiliated in any way, share tech and have similar characteristics.

It looks like one of the 7 tweeters has failed as I could not make electrical measurements and it has an infinite resistance. So, now there are 6.

Hmmmm, well if you are interested in selling a pair of your next project speakers I may be interested.

That would be fun! Bookshelf or Floorstanding?

Hmmmmm, well that is an interesting question.

I have always been a big floorstanding guy but as I age my tastes have changed and I may now think something bookshelf'ish.

I would kind of like to replace my Klipsch floorstanders in the living room.

If the one tweeter wouldn't have died I may have inquired about a matching center channel (I aint giving up on surround sound LOL).

Hmmmmm, well that is an interesting question.

I have always been a big floorstanding guy but as I age my tastes have changed and I may now think something bookshelf'ish.

I would kind of like to replace my Klipsch floorstanders in the living room.

If the one tweeter wouldn't have died I may have inquired about a matching center channel (I aint giving up on surround sound LOL).

There are enough tweeters for a 5.1???

I could easily build five matching bookshelf speakers which are very good sounding, toss in my two 11" Focal cabinets for the main stereo speakers, and build a gorgeous little (or big) sub. It could be pretty cool.

I could easily build five matching bookshelf speakers which are very good sounding, toss in my two 11" Focal cabinets for the main stereo speakers, and build a gorgeous little (or big) sub. It could be pretty cool.

Sub's covered. LOL

Well... the good news is that both of my large 11" bass enclosures with Focal W-Cone (Utopia) woofers in them are working fine. I need to clean them up and maybe put a fresh layer of linseed oil on them. I will measure them and make sure they are working perfectly, but they appear to be fine. I was pumping about 105dB SPL of music through them for over two hours and both the amp and the speakers held up fine. Yippee!!!

I am currently building a set of very high performance 3-Way speakers using two of these Morel Tweeters, the old Focal woofer cabinets, and a pair of brand new Morel 4" Midrange drivers I purchased just for this project. I am taking advantage of some additional acoustical remedies to limit the impact of Edge Diffraction and am creating a unique method for properly aiming the speakers toward the listener to get the best performance according to how the crossovers are tuned.

Here's a drawing:
Morel3Way_Drawing_2018-12-06.jpg

I am intimately knowledgeable with the performance of the large woofer and the tweeters as they have been in my HT for over a decade, so I know how magical they are. The midrange is a known good match for the tweeter, it handles a massive amount of power (over 1,000 W peak) and can operate effectively to below 100Hz. In this setup I will tune the midrange crossover to somewhere in the 300Hz to 500Hz range depending on how the baffle step reinforcement measures, which will ensure the power handling is greatly improved and all potential for doppler distortion is eliminated.

Since the bass cabinet can easily produce solid output to below 30Hz, this will make someone an amazing stand alone stereo system.

Let me know if you are interested or if you know someone who is. I would prefer to voice the crossover to the tastes of the buyer rather than make it to my perceptions of ideal and have to do it all over again. They can also be made fully active (my recommendation, by far) instead of using a passive crossover. If the buyer prefers passive crossovers, I can use audiophile caps and inductors at an additional cost.

These will sound every bit as good as anything you can buy for as much as $10,000 yet will be priced well below that since the tweeters and woofers are not new.

Back