• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Who Is Going To Be The First...

I applaud their use of traditional craftsmanship.

If I was ever heading to Manhattan, I'd for sure fill out the application form to then maybe get invited to visit their Brooklyn-based showroom to give these things a listen.

Jeff

ps. I'll be sure to bring Elvis on vinyl if I do!

I saw an article about them quite a while ago in some financial website. Evidently they use "large format" compression drivers on their horns. Large format compression drivers use a 4" diaphragm verses the 2" on "small format" compression drivers such as on the Altec A-7 type speakers, and are very, very efficient as a result but they have very limited high frequency extension because of the mass of the diaphragm. The surprising thing is that using such an efficient driver in the same system as a direct radiator woofer means that the compression driver has to be throttled WAY back to almost nothing in order to match the output of the woofer. That wastes the efficiency of the driver among other things. Beyond that, exponential horns verses straight horns have been the norm for a good reason; they are better.

This is in reality all academic since it seems pretty obvious that the manufacturer is more interested in visual presentation than in producing the best sonics consistent with the most efficient manufacturing means to get to that point. That's fine as I'm sure there are people who are in the market for that, but personally I feel that this is endemic of a larger problem with high end audio in that is is becoming less and less about pure sonic excellence for a fair price than audio jewellery for people who usually know nothing about audio and who could care less. The days of Heathkit, Eico kits, and Dynaco kits are long gone, and we all loose.

I remember posting on the old forum about OMA, and asking Flint (I think Rammis, was MIA) about the old electronics they were using. He said something to effect of, electronics had evolved and just because it was old didn't make it better.

I am curious what their reasoning is that "conical horn's" are better I don't think Bell Labs would agree with that and their research was done in the 30's. Hell why don't they break out some Edison cylinders to go with the horns? Oh wait Rammis answered it, they sound better because they look better.

People who buy the OMA products, I wonder what audio forums they hang out at? Seems like some strange nice marketing to me. I'm not trying to really knock them, if that's what turns you on and you can afford it, more power to you.

These guys aren't old school, they are SteamPunk Audiophiles.

Last edited:
Back